Learning from the University of Miami’s leader

In 1962, a Peace Corps volunteer began her two-year visit to southern Iran to teach English to locals in a small village. She wanted to volunteer in the Middle East, particularly because her family is Lebanese. Forty-six years later, she would share her experiences with about 20 students who were thinking about embarking on a similar journey with the Peace Corps.
“We listened to their priorities and it became a very important life lesson,” said University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala. “The Peace Corps gives you the opportunity to be as creative as you can be.”
The event invited past and current UM Peace Corps volunteers to discuss their experiences with prospective students. The forum, at Storer Auditorium, occurred just weeks after UM was named No. 15 in the country for producing Peace Corps volunteers from medium-sized colleges.
“There’s something about Americans [and their ability to]organize. They know how to put a process together to get people organized and going,” Shalala said. “Almost everyone who went to the Peace Corps with me was young and just out of college. We learned how to listen to the local people.”
During her speech, Shalala detailed her training prior to embarking for Iran. She and other volunteers were grouped with Iranian graduate students who helped them understand the culture in which they would be immersed.
She spoke of a local mullah, a religiously educated Muslim man, who helped guide her efforts in the village during her visit.
“He taught me to listen to the leadership wherever it was and to try understanding what people, even the poorest people, on earth thought were their priorities,” she said.
After Shalala concluded her speech, Michelle Tsiknakis, a UM alumna who graduated last December with a degree in health sciences and Spanish, spoke about her upcoming trip to Guatemala.
“Every experience is definitely to-each-their-own, everyone has a different experience,” Tsiknakis said.
“I’m really excited for the opportunity, but I’m going to be doing a little bit of everything. I’m going to be going to my country, seeing what they need and hopefully be fulfilling that need.”
Tsiknakis began serving as a health technician in Guatemala in April, bringing needed medical help to her those in need.
“Hopefully I’ll be as successful as [Shalala] was,” she said.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...