New College of Arts and Sciences dean appointed

Courtesy UM Media Relations

Yet another prominent leader in education has joined the University of Miami’s administrative team.

Leonidas Bachas, a distinguished analytical and biological chemist, will join the College of Arts and Sciences as dean of the largest of UM’s 12 schools and colleges.

Currently the chair of the University of Kentucky’s Department of Chemistry, Bachas has served as a member of the board of directors of the Society for Electroanalytical Chemistry, chaired the Lexington Section of the American Chemical Society and served on the Kentucky Academy of Science, Committee on Science and Government.

“Dr. Bachas is a highly respected scientist with a strong background in education and administration,” said UM President Donna E. Shalala in a press release. “The College of Arts and Sciences will benefit greatly from his experience in academic leadership, as well as from his multidisciplinary approach to the humanities and scientific research.”

Bachas’ service as associate dean of research and academic programs of the University of Kentucky’s College of Arts and Sciences from 2004 to 2009 has given him experience working across several platforms. Among Bachas’ main priorities at the University of Kentucky were mentoring young instructors and researchers, promoting interdisciplinary studies and fostering a diverse environment.

“A diverse college enhances the overall experience of all students and faculty,” said Bachas, in a press release. “I value interdisciplinary activities as a major contributor to research, scholarship and learning.”

Bachas says he aims to build and maintain relationships with the other schools and colleges at UM, as well as establish new collaborative initiatives that address climate change, energy, life sciences, global health and social problems.

“I am excited and humbled to be able to work with the College of Arts and Sciences’ excellent faculty and staff to expand and blur the boundaries of knowledge, address and solve world issues and prepare world-ready citizens,” he said.

May 19, 2010

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...