Football

Randy Shannon signs four-year contract extension

Randy Shannon. Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

Head football coach Randy Shannon signed a new four-year contract extension Wednesday night, the University of Miami announced. Shannon was entering the final year of his orginial deal but the new contract gives him security and will help recruiting.

Athletic Director Kirby Hocutt has continued to support Shannon and believes the extension is well deserved.

“We are very proud of the positive steps our football prgram has taken under the leadership of Coach Shannon,” Hocutt said in a released statement. “With a commitment to excellence in the classroom, in the community and in competition, we are well on our way, once again, to the top of the college football world.”

Shannon is 21-17 in his three years as head coach. He is 0-2 in bowl games. Shannon’s first recruiting class was ranked the best in the nation by ESPN. Those student-athletes will be juniors come the fall so much is expected of them.

Hocutt expects a national title every season, but knows reviving a football program is a gradual process and believes the 2010 squad is capable of competing for an ACC Championship.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

May 12, 2010

Justin Antweil

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...