“Lost Souls Like Us” album a mixed bag

Courtesy Rock Ridge Music

The Baton Rouge-based duo Benjy Davis Project’s fourth album, “Lost Souls Like Us” features personal lyrics and lush instrumentation, bringing the mandolin, slide guitar, piano and organ into the typical rock mix.

The album is made to fit the shuffle habits of iPod users, but as a result it does not hold together as a cohesive unit.

Davis’ smooth smoky voice carries the album through a mix of rock, folk and indie-pop with just enough southern flare so even those who readily shun country music will not be turned off. Each song is a story in and of itself with relationships being a prevalent theme.

The album has some weak tracks but there are many worth listening to.

The opening track, “Mississippi,” is an upbeat ode to the state neighboring the duo’s home state of Louisiana. The next track “Get High” is a jaunty tune about taking life slow and hanging out with friends, with a catchy chorus that will be sure to have you signing along.

On “Stay With Me,” the album’s feature single, Davis’ dark timbre voice contrasts with bright mandolins, in a melancholy song about holding on to a fading relationship.

Another standout track is “Slow Wind.” The blend of piano, acoustic guitar and slide guitar create a charming backdrop for Davis’ nostalgic reflection on childhood and the passing of time. The lyrics of “Check Your Pockets” are the highlight of the song, as Davis sings about rediscovering old memories and running into a childhood crush.

Fans of John Mayer, Jason Mraz and Sister Hazel will probably enjoy this album. While some songs on “Lost Souls Like Us” will be easily forgotten, there are others that are definite gems.

“Lost Souls Like Us”

Rating: ¾ stars

Released: March 2

Label: Rock Ridge Music

Produced by: Bobby Capps and Jason Spiewak

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...