FlowFest benefits Haitian orphanage

The new student coalition UM Student Activist Alliance (UMSAA) partnered up with a local non-profit organization to host FlowFest, a multimedia event in the UC Patio on Wednesday highlighting the availability of fresh water worldwide and donating proceeds to a Haitian orphanage.

With the help of Konbit For Haiti, a 501 (c)(3) organization based in Little Haiti, student groups igKnite, Random Acts of Kindness, WVUM 90.5 and the Haitian Student Organization, or collectively UMSAA, organized a free concert and documentary screening with artists like Jahfe, LaGuardia Cross, Michael “Mikaben” Benjamin, Maeva the Artist, Final Second and Sekajipo Genes to benefit Haiti relief efforts and encourage activism.

A component of the UM student-led workshop, “Flow: Uniting Children’s Visions on Water and the World,” the benefit concert featured a silent auction of photographs taken by nine middle school children on the subject of water.

“We had a workshop over the weekend at Konbit offices near little Haiti and invited middle school kids from the area and taught them about water scarcity and pollution,” said Gustavo Lang, Jr., president of Random Acts of Kindness.

“We asked them to go out and take pictures of water within the context of their community,” Lang said. “Pictures of a drain, a water bottle, or just water itself- whatever represented water to them.”

Proceeds of the silent auction will be donated to Shalom Village orphanage in Cap-Haitien, Haiti, as part of UMSAA’s continuous campaign to help Haitian earthquake victims. The photographs, being auctioned for $15 each, were displayed in the UC Patio alongside artisan jewelry, free Haitian food and related student groups who tabled at the event.

One student group in particular, Soley Ini, helped raise awareness about their current CGIU-proposed project to build community centers in Site Soley, Port-Au-Prince.

“We actually built a community center; it started to get off the ground, and then the earthquake happened so we’re starting all over again,” said Lissette Miller, president of Soley Ini. “We’re hoping to fund-raise on campus to get our projects off the ground.”

You can learn more about FlowFest at igknite.org/projects/flow or watch videos of the Flow workshop in Little Haiti on the School of Communication’s project kozeayiti.org.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=170″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” wmode=”transparent” /]

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...