FlowFest benefits Haitian orphanage

The new student coalition UM Student Activist Alliance (UMSAA) partnered up with a local non-profit organization to host FlowFest, a multimedia event in the UC Patio on Wednesday highlighting the availability of fresh water worldwide and donating proceeds to a Haitian orphanage.

With the help of Konbit For Haiti, a 501 (c)(3) organization based in Little Haiti, student groups igKnite, Random Acts of Kindness, WVUM 90.5 and the Haitian Student Organization, or collectively UMSAA, organized a free concert and documentary screening with artists like Jahfe, LaGuardia Cross, Michael “Mikaben” Benjamin, Maeva the Artist, Final Second and Sekajipo Genes to benefit Haiti relief efforts and encourage activism.

A component of the UM student-led workshop, “Flow: Uniting Children’s Visions on Water and the World,” the benefit concert featured a silent auction of photographs taken by nine middle school children on the subject of water.

“We had a workshop over the weekend at Konbit offices near little Haiti and invited middle school kids from the area and taught them about water scarcity and pollution,” said Gustavo Lang, Jr., president of Random Acts of Kindness.

“We asked them to go out and take pictures of water within the context of their community,” Lang said. “Pictures of a drain, a water bottle, or just water itself- whatever represented water to them.”

Proceeds of the silent auction will be donated to Shalom Village orphanage in Cap-Haitien, Haiti, as part of UMSAA’s continuous campaign to help Haitian earthquake victims. The photographs, being auctioned for $15 each, were displayed in the UC Patio alongside artisan jewelry, free Haitian food and related student groups who tabled at the event.

One student group in particular, Soley Ini, helped raise awareness about their current CGIU-proposed project to build community centers in Site Soley, Port-Au-Prince.

“We actually built a community center; it started to get off the ground, and then the earthquake happened so we’re starting all over again,” said Lissette Miller, president of Soley Ini. “We’re hoping to fund-raise on campus to get our projects off the ground.”

You can learn more about FlowFest at igknite.org/projects/flow or watch videos of the Flow workshop in Little Haiti on the School of Communication’s project kozeayiti.org.

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=170″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” wmode=”transparent” /]

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...