Things in Washington really are changing

In a recent column, Danny Hanlon asserted that under Democrats, “Action and effectiveness have been replaced by months of soaring speeches that promise action but are only precursors to more waiting and political bloviating.”

Aside from the fact that I didn’t know what it meant to bloviate, I was confused. Isn’t it precisely due to this administration and the Democrats’ actions that Republicans and Sarah Palin’s tea-people party are so up in arms?

Republicans have plenty to talk about come November, but it would be positively silly for them to run on the notion that this president and his party are long on talk and short on action.

Allow me to delineate some of their actions over the last year and a half. President Obama, often in conjunction with the Democratic Congress, has successfully negotiated a nuclear arms reduction treaty between the world’s largest nuclear powers; implemented new strategies in Afghanistan and Iraq, the latter of which was expressly backed by one-time opponent John McCain; signed equal pay legislation; widened rights for same-sex couples visiting hospitals; invested in our country’s infrastructure; overturned the ban on stem-cell research; ended torture and managed to pass a decades-in-the-making health reform bill, which is predicted to decrease the deficit by hundreds of billions and increase the number of those insured by 32 million.

As for the economy, retail and home sales are up, job losses are slowing, the GDP is growing again and the stock market is soaring. According to almost every prominent economist, we are in the midst of a recovery.

Under Obama, we’ve moved from an economic free-fall to a climb away from the brink of depression. Shortly after Obama became president, I invested in the stock market and I’ve more than doubled my money. And while Democrats may lose seats in Congress, as history dictates they will, I’ll put my money on the Democrats in the long run.

Pat Cunnane is a senior majoring in political science and journalism. He may be contacted at pcunnane@themiamihurricane.com.

Pat Cunnane

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...