Staff Editorial: Merging Greek life with a new set of values

Last week, 12 fraternity presidents had the opportunity to approve the adoption of Delta Lambda Phi, a gay, bisexual and progressive male fraternity. Two weeks before these presidents made their decision, leaders of Delta Lambda Phi visited a meeting of the Interfraternity Council (IFC).

Fraternity presidents consulted other leaders in their chapter before making their final decision. By an anonymous vote of 10-2, this male fraternity was successfully approved and, as a result, will be the 13th fraternity under the IFC.

In the past two years, three fraternities have been approved by chapter presidents, while the last time a sorority was added was in 2004.

The fact that the majority of fraternity presidents approved Delta Lambda Phi reflects how other chapters are willing to accept a fraternity that does not follow the typical college Greek stereotype.

More impressive is that these fraternities overlooked their desire to see another sorority added on campus before they added this new male chapter; perhaps because this new fraternity will probably not be having traditional mixers and will not affect the ratio for these events.

Not only will this fraternity add diversity to the IFC, it will also reinforce University of Miami’s acceptance of all people and sexual orientations.

Greek life should be made up of diverse backgrounds and beliefs, and should be experienced by more students.

Regardless of sexual orientation, one should be able to participate in Greek life. The addition of Delta Lambda Phi to the IFC will expand Greek life and break down stereotypes for both communities.

Although there is SpectrUM, an organization open to the LGBT community and its allies, a gay male fraternity would add a camaraderie that members would not normally experience without participating in a fraternity.

A gay male fraternity would be another outlet for them to promote issues of diversity through outreach, awareness and social opportunities.

University of Miami accommodates the needs of other minority demographics, so it is only fair to accommodate the needs for gay, bisexual and progressive men.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...