Sports Briefs April 25

Track & Field

Cory Nelms, DeMarcus Van Dyke, Travis Benjamin and Lamar Miller placed fifth on Saturday at the Penn Relays.  The next meet for the team is scheduled for May 14-15 at the Georgia Tech Invitational.

Women’s Tennis

The 11th-ranked Hurricanes were upset in the quarterfinals at the ACC Championships Friday in Cary, N.C. Despite losing the premier singles match-up, the Canes’ Bianca Eichkorn and doubles teams fought back to a 3-1 lead but sputtered in the third, fourth and fifth singles matches, conceding the victory to the Yellow Jackets.

Rowing

The UM Rowing Team finished sixth in the ACC Rowing Championships held in Clemson, N.C. Saturday. Junior Sarah Medland was named to the All-ACC Rowing Team.

Men’s Tennis

The eighth-seeded team lost to top seed Virginia 4-0 in the quarterfinals of the ACC tournament in Cary, N.C. Friday. The team now must wait until May 4 to learn its postseason fate.

Women’s Volleyball

The women’s volleyball team announced two additions to its 2010 roster Friday. Julia Giampaolo was an Under Armour Honorable Mention All-American playing while Mariel Schofield led her team to a State Semifinal as an outside hitter and defensive specialist.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...