V's Take

Dear V: I just can’t get him out of my mind…

I was with my boyfriend  for six months- not very long but I was so in love with him and I still am. We did everything together and I was really happy, but then he dumped me.

He said he didn’t feel ready to go steady and wanted to break it off before he hurt me. It’s been three months since we broke up and I just can’t get him out of my head. I still love him. I don’t know what to do.

I’ve tried everything and it’s really bringing me down.

What should I do?

Sincerely,

Help Me!

Dear Help Me,

No matter how short the relationship, boys can be really hard to get over. Don’t think just because it was six months that you should be over your ex by now; these things take time and everyone is different in how they deal with heartbreak.

It seems as though this breakup was fairly sudden, another reason you may be having trouble forgetting about him. As much as people say the easiest way to move on is to find someone new, this may just be a good time to spend with yourself and your friends, building closer friendships.

Try to organize a fun night with the girls. You can all swear off men for the night and just have a good time without the stress and drama of the male race.  This may help you remember that it’s possible to have fun without boys, and that you’re better off without someone who doesn’t want to commit to you.

You said you were really happy with your boyfriend, but I’m sure there were some things that used to bug you. One way to keep you from thinking about all the good is focus on the bad. I’m not saying to make him out to be the bad guy, but simply writing down a few things that made you unhappy may help remind you why now you’re better off.

Carry this sheet around with you, and any time you start to miss him, read it to get those voices out of your head saying “I want you, I need you, oh baby, oh baby.”

I know it’s rough, but eventually things will get better. The most important thing is to stay positive;  there are many other fish in the sea and one day you’ll find one who would do anything to be with you.

Clearly this guy wasn’t the one, but don’t worry, he’s out there somewhere.

Stay Strong,

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...