Blogophile: Internet Culture Edition

Didn’t get that last inside joke? Need a laugh after a session of solitary confinement in the stacks? If you live life outside of the MacBook, you may be missing out on some hilarious Internet culture that’s indisputably defining our generation. Put the textbook down, open your browser and give in to the pop culture blogs.

1. Stuff White People Like

Web site: stuffwhitepeoplelike.com

If you’re a fan of the reading material Urban Outfitters supplies, you’ve probably come across the book of the same title. Stuff White People Like, the creative, uncomfortably accurate and undeniably humorous blog, compiles a list of stereotypical tastes of middle-class white folks that pokes innocent fun at its readers. If you want a read worth writing about in your Moleskine, check out this popular blog. Give up trying to deny your affinity for Wes Anderson films or expensive sandwiches, and embrace your whiteness.

2. PostSecret

Web site: postsecret.blogspot.com

Already an incredibly popular book series in the realm of cultural studies, PostSecret’s blog is updated weekly with new postcards mailed nameless to headquarters with people’s deepest, darkest secrets. If you didn’t already know, the cultural project involves anonymous postcards with relevant artwork and a scribbled secret for someone, anyone, to read. Every Sunday, you can log on to the site to read (and relate to) funny and often disturbing secrets submitted by fans all over the world.

3. Look At This F$@%ing Hipster

Web site: latfh.com

Like pornography, you know a hipster when you see one. This riotous blog provides photos, video and dead-on commentary about uberhipsters roaming the Earth. You can look through it, or maybe even find yourself on there if you didn’t make your birthday party at The Vagabond photo album private, and laugh. For a while.

4. Dealbreaker

Web site: dealbreaker.tumblr.com

It’s not me, it’s you. For those often told they’re “too picky” or “impossible to please,” this blog is rooting for you. Based on fan submissions and occasional staff picks, Dealbreaker hilariously highlights elaborate reasons why this simply won’t work out. Examples like “You Listen to Dashboard Confessional” and “You Drive A Hummer” will have you questioning your tastes and then laughing at yourself for questioning them. But then again, who can argue with “You Don’t Like Prince?”

Nicolette Roque may be contacted at nroque@themiamihurricane.com.

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...