Trespasser seen on campus

On Monday at approximately 12:45 p.m., the University of Miami Police Department issued an e-mail “safety alert” to the university community about a former student who is banned on all UM campuses.
Rafael Chinchilla, 26, was reported by the police to be 5 feet and 6 inches in height and 195 pounds.
Chincilla, according to police, is a former student who is under a no-trespass warning. He has reportedly harassed numerous university officials.
“UM Police and the Division of Student Affairs are monitoring this situation closely, and with this notice, we are making the campus community aware of this potential threat,” read the e-mail. “If you see him on campus, you are urged to call University of Miami Police immediately. Be prepared to provide a current description, location, direction and method of travel.”
When asked, UMPD would not issue a comment on the suspect.
According to Miami-Dade County public records, Chinchilla was charged with disorderly intoxication in a case filed on April 18, 2005.
If you spot Chinchilla on campus, or if you have tips as to his whereabouts, UMPD asks that you call 305-284-6666.
Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

INFOBOX
– Report all emergencies immediately by calling 911.
– Report all suspicious activity immediately by calling 305-284-6666.
– To request a UM Police safety escort, call 305-284-6666 or use any blue light telephone.
– Visit the UMPD Web site for personal safety information.
– Visit the UMPD Web site for more information on self-defense programs.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...