Trespasser seen on campus

On Monday at approximately 12:45 p.m., the University of Miami Police Department issued an e-mail “safety alert” to the university community about a former student who is banned on all UM campuses.
Rafael Chinchilla, 26, was reported by the police to be 5 feet and 6 inches in height and 195 pounds.
Chincilla, according to police, is a former student who is under a no-trespass warning. He has reportedly harassed numerous university officials.
“UM Police and the Division of Student Affairs are monitoring this situation closely, and with this notice, we are making the campus community aware of this potential threat,” read the e-mail. “If you see him on campus, you are urged to call University of Miami Police immediately. Be prepared to provide a current description, location, direction and method of travel.”
When asked, UMPD would not issue a comment on the suspect.
According to Miami-Dade County public records, Chinchilla was charged with disorderly intoxication in a case filed on April 18, 2005.
If you spot Chinchilla on campus, or if you have tips as to his whereabouts, UMPD asks that you call 305-284-6666.
Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

INFOBOX
– Report all emergencies immediately by calling 911.
– Report all suspicious activity immediately by calling 305-284-6666.
– To request a UM Police safety escort, call 305-284-6666 or use any blue light telephone.
– Visit the UMPD Web site for personal safety information.
– Visit the UMPD Web site for more information on self-defense programs.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

With technology developed at UM, aerospace engineer GeCheng Zha hopes to usher in a new era of urban ...

The second meeting of the Hemispheric University Consortium in Jamaica added new members and worked ...

Alumna Diana Donnarumma received a multi-organ transplant and is now working to help others who suff ...

Renovations to the School of Architecture’s library doubled its footprint, offering students a place ...

Through Project MMAGIC, assistant professor of psychology Sannisha Dale will analyze how snide comme ...

Hurricanes legend Bernie Kosar was among those Hall of Fame inductees, record setters and NFL stando ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team turned in a stellar performance competi ...

Hurricanes are set to open competition at the ITA Southeast Regional Championship on Thursday. ...

Freshmen Kenza Salgues and Moulayna Johnson Sidi Baba, UM's two newest international players, a ...

Head women's basketball coach Katie Meier and the Miami Hurricanes hosted 135 local fans for th ...