News briefs

Shalala: overall finances stable

Last Thursday, President Donna Shalala released an e-mail to the university community discussing the university’s financial status.

According to her message, tuition revenue has continued to grow, over $100 million from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) has been provided to the university, and donations to the university may begin picking up.

The e-mail states that UM now ranks at No. 14 in the nation for overall federal funds received from the ARRA.

According to Shalala, South Florida’s staggered unemployment rate has increased the amount of uninsured patients visiting UM medical facilities, impacting the university’s revenue.

Additionally, the university’s $2 million Public Transit Program, will not be affected by budgetary changes.

“I am confident in our ability to continue to move the university forward in positive ways,” Shalala wrote in the e-mail. “But only if we are diligent and aggressive in managing both revenue and expenses.”

The message further announced several changes to university employee benefits, including tuition remission for relatives and the university-provided insurance.

For more information on the changes stated in Shalala’s e-mail, please visit miami.edu/index.php/benefits_administration/hr_benefit_changes

UMPD issues late crime e-mail

On Friday, the University of Miami Police Department issued an e-mail about a robbery that occurred Tuesday at approximately 1 p.m.

A student was walking on the 1500 block of Levante Avenue when the suspect suddenly snatched one of the student’s possessions and ran off towards Red Road.

The offender was detailed as a black male, almost 6 feet, 5 inches in height and about 230 to 250 pounds. His hair was short-cropped, and he was last seen wearing a white crewneck T-shirt, long black plants, black and gray Nike shows and a Marlins baseball hat.

Anyone with information about the crime is urged to call UMPD at 305-284-6666 or leave an anonymous tip with Miami-Dade County Crimestoppers at 305-471-8477.

Jawbone makers host contest

Aliph, makers of the Jawbone Bluetooth headset, is hosting a video contest that gives students and alumni the opportunity to make $10,000.

The “Jawbone Stimulus Funny Video Contest” is taking videos that are 60 seconds in length or less that emphasize comical moments related to excessive amounts of background noise while making a phone call.

The videos are due June 1. The winner will be featured on jawbone.com. For more information, visit jawbonecontest.com

CREOLE CLASS BEGINS FALL 2010

The Department of Modern Languages and Literature will be hosting a new class titled Haitian Creole 101.  The focus of the class will be in the reading, writing, speaking and understanding of the language, both in conversational and formal practice.

The course is completely conducted in Creole. Native speakers of the language will not be permitted to take the course.

The course’s registration code is MLL100.

Compiled by Ramon Galiana who may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...