Swamp Stomp 2010 to be even bigger and better

Swamp Stomp, an annual outdoor music festival, is back for another year of tunes and fun on Virginia Key in Key Biscayne.

Started in 2007 by a few friends including University of Miami ’08 alumnus Parker Smith, Swamp Stomp is a growing music festival that showcases a variety of quirky acts, ranging from reggae to electronica. Some of this year’s lineup includes The Lee Boys, Jahfe and UM’s own Beckham County Trainwreck.

“I loved it last year, and it was my first time going,” senior Missy Walton said. “Everybody was just having a good time listening to a great variety of music, and the band Tavern was awesome. Everyone was dancing and singing along.”

Swamp Stomp is gaining popularity with students and the local community. The first year the festival had fewer than 100 people show up, but last year more than 1,000 people attended. Even more are expected for this year’s show.

“[Last year] I went there in a car full of friends and didn’t really know what to expect… but it was probably one of the coolest places I had ever seen,” sophomore Sarah Bromley said. “Before I knew it I had red and yellow face paint smudged onto my face and I was jumping up and down at the front of the stage singing along to songs I didn’t know. I like to think of it as one of the best nights of my life.”

In addition to garnering strong support from local fans, the show also has gained some prominent sponsors; the Miami New Times is presenting the festival and other sponsors include Stop N’ Shop, TMiami.com and Whatmiami.com.

“They had to move Swamp Stomp from Jimbo’s to Bayside Hut this year because it has grown so much,” Bromley said. “If you look online from last year, you’ll see photos of people just having a great time, getting down and dirty with their friends, jamming out to the best local music around. It’s about letting loose and feeling the wild vibe the night brings out in everyone and everything around.”

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO:
What: Swamp Stomp Music Festival

Where: Bayside Hut, 3501 Rickenbacker Causeway, Key Biscayne

When: Saturday, 5 p.m.– 2 a.m.

Cost: $8 pre-sale, $10 at the door

For more information and to buy tickets in advance, visit www.swampstompmiami.com.

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...