Swamp Stomp 2010 to be even bigger and better

Swamp Stomp, an annual outdoor music festival, is back for another year of tunes and fun on Virginia Key in Key Biscayne.

Started in 2007 by a few friends including University of Miami ’08 alumnus Parker Smith, Swamp Stomp is a growing music festival that showcases a variety of quirky acts, ranging from reggae to electronica. Some of this year’s lineup includes The Lee Boys, Jahfe and UM’s own Beckham County Trainwreck.

“I loved it last year, and it was my first time going,” senior Missy Walton said. “Everybody was just having a good time listening to a great variety of music, and the band Tavern was awesome. Everyone was dancing and singing along.”

Swamp Stomp is gaining popularity with students and the local community. The first year the festival had fewer than 100 people show up, but last year more than 1,000 people attended. Even more are expected for this year’s show.

“[Last year] I went there in a car full of friends and didn’t really know what to expect… but it was probably one of the coolest places I had ever seen,” sophomore Sarah Bromley said. “Before I knew it I had red and yellow face paint smudged onto my face and I was jumping up and down at the front of the stage singing along to songs I didn’t know. I like to think of it as one of the best nights of my life.”

In addition to garnering strong support from local fans, the show also has gained some prominent sponsors; the Miami New Times is presenting the festival and other sponsors include Stop N’ Shop, TMiami.com and Whatmiami.com.

“They had to move Swamp Stomp from Jimbo’s to Bayside Hut this year because it has grown so much,” Bromley said. “If you look online from last year, you’ll see photos of people just having a great time, getting down and dirty with their friends, jamming out to the best local music around. It’s about letting loose and feeling the wild vibe the night brings out in everyone and everything around.”

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO:
What: Swamp Stomp Music Festival

Where: Bayside Hut, 3501 Rickenbacker Causeway, Key Biscayne

When: Saturday, 5 p.m.– 2 a.m.

Cost: $8 pre-sale, $10 at the door

For more information and to buy tickets in advance, visit www.swampstompmiami.com.

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...