Sports briefs April 21

Baseball

The Hurricanes’ senior righty David Gutierrez was named ACC Pitcher of the week this past week. Gutierrez is posting a 3.82 ERA this season and has a perfect 4-0 record so far, but he has yet to give up a home run.

Golf

The Hurricanes finished eighth at the ACC Championships this past weekend in Greensboro, N.C.  The young team was led by Begona Sarabia who finished 27th overall. The match was the last one for long time coach Lela Cannon who will be retiring this offseason after 27 years of service at UM.

Volleyball

During their offseason, some of the Hurricane volleyball players participated in the Collegiate Beach Challenge in Siesta Key over this past weekend. Lici McGee and Lane Carico won the silver medal and Ali Becker and Katie Gallagher took the bronze. The event proved a good test for the team which has high hopes of winning the ACC this year after a less than stellar 11-9 record this past season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...