Culture

Jason Castro unlikely to hook new fans

Courtesy BecauseSoundMatters.com

American Idol star Jason Castro’s self-titled debut album features catchy pop-rock melodies and heart-felt lyrics.

Castro’s rich voice is superb, although the album runs short with only eight tracks.

The opening track, “Let’s Just Fall in Love Again,” is a playful song about getting back together with a former love interest. While track two doesn’t stand out as much as the first, the next song, “That’s What I’m Here For,” is one of the best on the album. It features mellow acoustic guitar, lush string arrangements and charming harmonies.

“Love Uncompromised” is an up-beat song with a little country flavor followed by “Closer,” a catchy rock song. “You Can Always Come Home” is a somber duet with Serena Ryder. Castro and Ryder’s voices complement each other nicely over a mix of piano, acoustic guitar and strings.

The album ends with a cover of Leonard Cohen’s  “Hallelujah.” Castro sings with perfect technique and inflections in all the right places, but it sounds more contrived than emotive. While it’s not a bad version of the song, it lacks the raw emotion of Jeff Buckley’s rendition.

Castro’s debut album is sure to please those who followed him on American Idol, but it is unlikely that he will hook many new fans. While his upbeat sound is easy to listen to, the song writing doesn’t stand out as anything new or innovative, and most of the songs lose their catchy appeal after a few listens. Castro’s impressive voice may not be enough to make a lasting impression on the music scene.

Danielle Peloquin may be contacted at dpeloquin@themiamihurricane.com.

“Jason Castro” by Jason Castro

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Released: April 13

Label: Atlantic Records

Produced by: Eric Rosse

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

7 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Jason Castro unlikely to hook new fans”

1. Pat says:

I agree with the other people here, Jason’s CD is addictive. I purchased the 14 track CD and have listened to it over and over and never get tired of any of the songs. He just soothes my soul with his music and I have always been more of a rocker so for someone to capture my attention with a softer sound speaks volumes about their appeal.

2. teri says:

I didn’t catch season 7 of AI so I consider myself a new fan. I have to tell you that I love every song in the album :) and right now I’m listening to #9 …

3. LinMi says:

My sons college age girlfriend was shopping at Hollister and loved one of the songs so much that she looked it up on youtube and, to my sons amusement b/c he knows I’m a fan, it turned out to be none other than If I Were You by Jason Castro!

Jason can and will hook new fans once his music is heard!

4. Jacquie says:

I cannot agree with your review regarding Jason’s appeal.

I believe that Jason Castro will “hook” new fans. He is gifted, genuine and a compassionate singer, who writes from his heart. His gifts are sorely needed in today’s crass entertainment world.

Please listen to his 14 track cd limited edition and then perhaps another review might come to your mind.

I give four out of four stars for his debut album.

5. melinda says:

I don’t agree with your review Jason has a huge following and will indeed gain more fans once his songs are heard more on the radio. If you want to do a comprehensive review you should listed to his 14 track – Jason’s voice is so rich, passionate and each of his songs are unique and very captivating. I have been a fan since AI and let me tell you I can’t stop listening to his new music – he is what this music industry needs! Congratulations to Jason for a fantastic new debut album – I give him 10 stars!

6. Vicki East says:

It is a shame you did not get and listen to the 14 track cd (limited edition)….I disagree with your opinion of his ability to “hook new fans”. Jason’s music is a joy to listen to and he has great appeal. Have you seen him in concert? His genuine emotions shine…..