After the recession comes job depression

Well, we sure picked a hell of a time to attend college and try to land a job. Our parents and previous generations have been busy selling us down the river, placing us under a crushing mountain of debt we may spend our working lives digging out of.

The era of state socialism that began under Bismarck is coming to an end, trampled by overextended entitlements and profligate spending. If you aren’t familiar with the phrases pension reform, sovereign default or entitlement crisis, do not fret, as you will soon get sick of hearing them.

I’m talking about the $3 trillion pension gap faced collectively by the American states, the fact that Social Security liabilities now exceed inflows (the huge surplus was spent by the Feds- oops!) and staggering future liabilities in Medicare. The U.S. only collects enough money organically (via taxes) to cover less than a third of its outlays.

The on-budget debt stands at $12.7 trillion while the off-budget debt of the two trust funds- Social Security and Medicare- in unfunded liabilities is estimated at about $75 trillion this year.

We have passed the point of no return in regards to entitlements- it is politically impossible to cut them although they are unsustainable so they will simply end in a U.S. default or hyperinflation. Since most entitlements are pegged to inflation, a default seems more likely.

Bulls point to a stock market up 80 percent from its lows a year ago and a slight uptick in employment figures. On closer inspection, the economic picture isn’t very rosy.

Food stamp usage just hit a record 39 million people- the 14th consecutive monthly increase and 158,000 personal bankruptcies were filed in March. The previous record over the last five years was 133,000 in October. Foreclosure activity hit a record 932,234 properties in the first quarter.

The employment picture remains grim with the official unemployment rate hovering just under 10 percent with 14 million out of work. There is no driver for jobs and there is likely to be none for a long time- it may take decades for a full jobs recovery.

No matter how much money the Feds throw around the economy, it cannot recover until non-collectable debts are written off. Bailing out the banks simply delays and worsens the day of reckoning. For all their talk of “affordable housing” the Feds are doing everything they can to make it unaffordable.

Housing prices need to fall and the Federal Reserve must stop blowing bubbles by manipulating interest rates. The charade must end- zombie banks need to fail, states need to go bankrupt to slim down and renegotiate pensions and the federal government needs to get smaller and interfere less with the economy.

In short, we need a free market where the government doesn’t pick winners and losers. Bringing an end to our futile and insanely expensive wars wouldn’t hurt either. Good luck out there- the next few years are shaping up to be very interesting.

Timothy Heacock is a senior majoring in finance and economics. He may be contacted at theacock@themiamihurricane.com.

Timothy Heacock

Staff Columnist

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...