Lifefood Gourmet an interesting alternative

Raw, dairy-free, gluten-free lasagna? Lifefood Gourmet features a unique selection of vegan, organic and all-natural cuisine that is either raw or lightly heated. It is a refreshing experience, especially for vegetarians living in a city where Cuban cuisine and Argentinean steak houses abound. Eating rice and beans every time your friends are in the mood for ropa vieja and empanadas can get old after a while.

The restaurant’s chef John Schott seeks to create food that is not only delicious but also environmentally sustainable and nourishing for the body and soul. The atmosphere is earthy and inviting, with friendly staff and service. The food is a little pricey, with $8 smoothies and most appetizers and entrees around $10-12, but still reasonable considering everything is organic and handcrafted.

While the idea of eating a raw diet may seem like it would leave you feeling hungry and unsatisfied, one trip to Lifefood Gourmet will change your mind.

The Cacao Shake is delicious and feels like a meal by itself. The Mediterranean Nachos are hemp with flax chips piled high with olives, onions, lettuce and homemade Brazil nut hummus. Even meat eaters will be satisfied with the Life Burrito, packed with seasoned Brazil nutmeat, pine nut “cheddar,” guacamole and portabella.

The lasagna, despite being the most expensive item at $18, is a favorite among regular customers and it is easy to see why. With layers of baby spinach, sun dried tomato flat bread, pumpkin pesto, portabella and fresh tomato sauce, it is full of flavor and won’t leave you feeling heavy, like traditional cheese packed lasagna does.

The restaurant also serves an array of soups, salads, pizzas, smoothies and desserts. Lifefood Gourmet is an innovative, healthy and tasty alternative for those looking for something different.

IF YOU GO:

Lifefood Gourmet

WHAT: Vegan, raw, all-natural health food

WHERE: 1248 SW 22 Street Miami, FL 33145

WHEN: 12 p.m.- 9 p.m., Thursday to Sunday

COST: $10-18 per entrée

Danielle Peloquin may be contacted at dpeloquin@themiamihurricane.com.

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...