Health care is moving forward, but is it moving in the right direction?

I shall not bother confronting claims that recent U.S. healthcare legislation is a step towards Stalinism. It is not that I am lazy, but the presuppositions necessary to hold such a view cannot realistically be countered in one article.

Unfortunately, it is still necessary to counter the view that the new law is a “step in the right direction” based on our new administration’s enlightened benevolence. This paper has featured arguments that health care is a right and should be provided for with taxpayer money. I agree, but this country still has the most inefficient health care system in the industrialized world, and insurance companies will now receive public subsidies for their profit.

The U.S. spends twice as much per capita on health care costs as European countries and yet has worse results. The difference? First, private insurance companies operate at a profit. Second, these companies must compete through advertising at great cost and must maintain an expensive and inefficient bureaucracy to help deal with the complicated flow of paperwork that is an outcome of such a fragmented system.

Third, patients are protected on pharmaceuticals, thus allowing drug companies to make enormous profits, even though R & D for these products is sometimes in large part paid for by taxpayers and the work carried out in the state sector, in universities for example.

In addition the government is legally banned from using its purchasing power in order to lower drug prices. As we all know, the health care industry is one of the largest contributors to politicians’ campaigns, in Obama’s case second only to financial institutions.

I was raised in England, where health care, despite many statements to the contrary, is not “free.” It is paid for with taxes but of course health costs per capita are half of what they are here.

There, one walks into a hospital at no charge and receives quick service (as I have myself). Stories of endless waits are simply not true and the rich can always pay extra for private care if they wish. If you do not believe this, travel to England, pretend to be sick and the doctor will see you for free and will not even have to call your insurance company.

One further objection? “I will be refused care by a government death panel!” Well, better than by an insurance company for their own profit.

Adam Bird-Ridnell is a sophomore majoring in history and philosophy. He may be contacted at abirdridnell@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Bird-Ridnell

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...