Be Seen Being Green College Music Tour kicks off at UM

April is now officially Be Seen Being Green month in Miami Beach, and the movement to encourage practical green living is coming to the Storer Auditorium this Thursday. Persia White, animal welfare and environmental activist and actress from the top rated African American television show Girlfriends, will host a seminar from 3:30 to 7 p.m.

The event, which kicks off the east coast branch of a college tour, is being presented by DreamSharee Edu-tainment, an education and entertainment firm, with the help of Hip Hop Caucus and Green U.

Attendees can enter to win a pair of tickets to the BSBG Concert featuring Trey Songz and Fabolous on April 16 as well as a meet and greet with Trey Songz followed by a green carpet VIP after party at Mansion.

“Going green is something everyone should be aware of globally,” DreamSharee Edu-tainment co-founder Marcus King said. “Our mission is to educate through entertainment.”

A panel of experts will speak about environmental awareness, including Academy Award winner Dale Bell, who will show a preview of his documentary Growing Greener Schools.  Apply Levy, founder of TheGreenGirls.com, will educate on how to share eco-friendly lifestyles with friends, including ideas for fun green trips.

“Engaging in green conversations and educating others, recycling, carrying your own water bottles instead of buying water in plastic bottles and unplugging electronics when they are not in use are just some of the ways that students can be a part of the solution,” TSharee Butler, Founder of  DreamSharee Edu-tainment, said.

White will show a piece of her film, Intelligent Life, winner of Best Film at the Activist Awards, and Rev. Lennox Yearwood Jr. will present the documentary Green Living and What We Can Do to Contribute to Living a Greener Life on behalf of the Hip Hop Caucus.

Other speakers will include City of Miami Beach Commissioner Jonah Wolfson, Stephanie Owens, Director of Public Engagement in the Office of the Administrator at the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and UM alumnus Daniell Washington, 23, who started the Big Blue & You Foundation to educate young Floridians about taking care of our oceans.

“Students and youth are the leaders of tomorrow,” Butler said. “If we can educate our future leaders, we are educating everyone else.”

In addition to concert tickets, students will be able to participate in contests and raffles for eco-friendly prizes such as spa treatments, solar powered chargers and bags. The seminar will end with a question and answer session and an opportunity to meet the panelists at a book signing.

Nina Ruggiero

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...