Culture

Jimmy Buffett to visit campus Thursday

Grab your flip flops, sunscreen and salt; Margaritaville is coming to UM.

Jimmy Buffett to visit the BankUnited Center at the University of Miami this Thursday. // Flickr.com.

Jimmy Buffett will be at the BankUnited Center Thursday at 11 a.m. to host a lecture and question and answer session. This event is hosted by the Frost School of Music; but sorry “Parrotheads,” it is only for music students.

Jimmy Buffett has been entertaining for decades and has acquired a cult following. He is known for his songs about the island lifestyle, including hits like “Margaritaville” and “It’s 5 O’Clock Somewhere.”

“I’m excited that Jimmy Buffet is coming” said Kelly McAleney, a senior music education major. “It’s really rare that students get the chance to see such a huge performer for free, but even more exciting that we get the chance to talk to him and ask him questions.”

Music students can also submit questions that will be randomly selected and read out loud for Jimmy Buffett to answer during the Q & A session. The last day to submit questions is April 13 and they should be e-mailed to fmtickets@miami.edu.

In order to pick up tickets, students must to go to the BankUnited Center’s ticket office and show a Cane Card with a valid Frost sticker. For more information call 305-284-8686.

IF YOU GO:
WHAT: Jimmy Buffett presented by the Frost School of Music
WHEN: Thursday, April 15 at 11 a.m.

WHERE: The BankUnited Center

COST: Free, but admission is limited only to Frost School of Music students

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...

Early voting in Florida began this week and will last through Nov. 1. Here’s a rundown of everything students need to know about upcoming campus events, from the final debate watch party to transportation to the polls. ...