Director of “After.Life” hit it big while in second year of college

Polish film director and writer, Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo, boldly broke into the world of film with her first feature, “After.Life,” shortly after finishing her undergraduate degree from NYU’s Tisch School of the Arts in 2004. Through perseverance and passion for her art, Wojtowicz-Vosloo had the opportunity to feature her short film “Pâté” at the Sundance Festival and to make this feature film, starring acclaimed actors Liam Neeson, Christina Ricci and Justin Long.

The psychological horror film tells the dark fate of Anna (Ricci) who wakes up after a car accident to find local funeral director, Eliot Deacon (Neeson) preparing her body for her funeral. Still feeling very much alive, she tries to escape with the help of her boyfriend, Paul (Long) before she crosses to the other side.

Wojtowicz-Vosloo’s love of film began in her home town, Warsaw, Poland.

“I loved all arts- photography, painting, choreography-and film was the most natural art form that combined all of the other ones,” she said.

Wojtowicz-Vosloo gained a strong grasp on European cinema while growing up and she wanted to experience American cinema in the United States, so she began her study of film at NYU.

At NYU, Wojtowicz-Vosloo was assigned a project to make a short film; she chose to portray a dark story of an apocalyptic world and what happens to people’s psyche when they are faced with extreme challenges. When faced with doubt from her professors for attempting such a difficult topic for a first film, she decided to carry on.

“[The film was] very visual,” Wojtowicz-Vosloo said. “The big challenge was creating this apocalyptic world, which involved me being very resourceful with the budget of an average college student.”

Her hard work paid off, when her film was accepted to Sundance, she received the Feuille d’Or at the Beverly Hills Film Festival and she won NYU’s prestigious Wasserman Award.

As part of the Wasserman Award, she was flown to LA to meet producers and agents, where Wojtowicz-Vosloo found her agent when she was still only in her second year of college.

She explained that the process of getting the actors she desired interested would take a lot of hard work. Her agent sent the script of “After.Life” to the actors’ agents, and when they approved it, the actors themselves read the script and decided whether they wanted to play the role or not. Luckily, Neeson, Ricci and Long all accepted their respective roles and began collaborating with Wojtowicz-Vosloo. With only 25 days to shoot the film, she enjoyed learning the actors’ different methods and personalities.

“[I am often inspired by] darker things that are in our psyche,” Wojtowicz-Vosloo said. “It comes from the world I live in, but I love to take something and give it its own twist and spin. Every religion, every philosophy says what happens when we die, but we won’t know until it happens.”

INFO BOX:

Dive into the dark world of Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo, with her first feature film, “After.Life,” which opened Friday.

Directed by: Agnieszka Wojtowicz-Vosloo

Starring: Liam Neeson, Christina Ricci and Justin Long

MPAA Rating: R for nudity, disturbing images, language and brief sexuality

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...