Staff Editorial: Why not have alcohol at the BUC?

Why not have alcohol available at the Bank United Center?

Due to a Coral Gables city ordinance, alcohol is not allowed to be served at the BankUnited Center. Yet students can purchase alcohol at Sun Life Stadium, which is at least a 30-minute drive from campus.

The BankUnited Center is nestled right on the edge of campus and easily within walking distance from all the dormitories. Potentially dangerous behavior, like drinking and driving, is much less likely at this venue.

The university is always trying to develop a more campus-oriented experience and is constantly promoting events. Serving alcohol would allow big name acts like Bruce Springsteen to come to this venue, which would enhance campus life and make it more enjoyable.

One of the main arguments for not serving alcohol at the BUC, rowdy crowds, would not be an issue. Generally speaking, concessions at sports venues are overpriced. College students will not look at this opportunity as a time to get wasted.

Furthermore, if students want to get trashed at these events, they do not need the BUC to assist them.

Our campus is lucky enough to have the BUC, voted one of the best mid-size venues in the country. It’s embarrassing to have this jewel and to have such low attendance at basketball games and other events. We should be promoting the BUC to make the sporting events and concerts there more attractive.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...