Jui-Jitsu offers an unusual workout

There’s a new way to work out in Miami. Gracie Barra, a dojo, or training facility, that features classes occasionally taught by famed Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fighter Georges St. Pierre, is now reaching out to UM students with the help of a senior management class.

Gracie Barra has been offering Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu training classes for about a year and a half now.

In this time, participation has been limited, with virtually no UM student involvement.

Manager of Gracie Barra Tony Martinez enlisted the help of a UM entrepreneurial class at the beginning of this semester.

There are four members of the class which have been formulating an overall marketing plan for the dojo involving marketing strategies, business models and consulting them along the way.

Ryan Ceresani is a member of the class and immediately had ideas for the dojo.

“The people that run Gracie Barra are great. They are so passionate and really good at what they do, but passion doesn’t always translate as great business strategy. That’s why we’re here to help them out,” Ceresani said.

Part of the business strategy that the class has developed is creating awareness of the dojo. In order to do this, they have organized a demonstration to be held at the Rock on Thursday, April 15 at 12 p.m.

Fighters from the Gracie Barra dojo will be showing off their skills in an effort to attract students for various reasons.

“Jiu-Jitsu is really great for anyone. It can be viewed as a self-defense class or just a new way to work out and work on strength training,” said Drew Kapreck, a member of the management class.

So far, the class has been doing things such as talking to potential clients, setting schedules for meetings, and developing work plans for Gracie Barra.

The management class is looking to create discounts for students, as well as semester-long training plans with the dojo.

Colleen Dourney may be contacted at cdourney@themiamihurricane.com.

INFOBOX

For more information check out the demonstration on the Rock Thursday or the Gracie Barra Web site at www.gbmiami.com.

Colleen Dourney

Contributing Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...