‘Clash of the Titans’ entertaining but mindless

“Clash of the Titans” may star Sam Worthington (of “Avatar”), but don’t expect the same sort of epic, visual spectacular.

In the film, mankind has grown restless with the gods’ cruelty and declares war against them. Hades (Ralph Fiennes) sees the situation as an opportunity to take revenge against his brother Zeus (Liam Neeson) for condemning him to rule the underworld. Hades proposes he be allowed to fight the humans, reasoning that when faced with death, mankind will be scared into submission and return to their prayers.

Instead, Hades grows stronger from the humans’ fear while the Olympian gods continue to become weak. Meanwhile, Perseus (Worthington), an orphan who is brought in by a family of fisherman, is planning his own revenge. His family’s boat is sunk when they get caught in the midst of a battle and Perseus is the only survivor. He vows to punish Hades for his loss, and soon learns that his true father is Zeus. Zeus sees that his demigod son may be the only one capable of defeating Hades and assists him on his quest.

Director Louis Leterrier’s remake of the classic tale is short on substance and lacks the epic flavor one would expect from a movie based on Greek mythology. It is surprising that the script is so flat and uninspiring considering that three screenwriters worked on the project.

Overall, the cast delivers performances that are good but not memorable. Worthington is unimpressive as Perseus, delivering the same “Avatar” Jake Sully character repackaged in ancient Greek garb.

The computer graphics are decent but feel a bit lackluster. Despite the movie’s shortcomings, though, it still manages to be entertaining. Maybe we all need some mindless entertainment once in a while.

“Clash of the Titans”

Rating: 2/4 stars

Directed by: Louis Leterrier

Starring: Sam Worthginton, Liam Neeson, Ralph Fiennes, Jason Flemyng and Gemma Arterton

Danielle Peloquin

Contributing EDGE Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...