Actress Kaiulani Lee to perform ‘Sense of Wonder’ Thursday at the Bill Cosford Cinema

Courtesy PBS

A spring without birds chirping, fish jumping, wind whistling in the trees and calls among the animals is a “silent spring.”

In the 60s, biologist, writer and ecologist Rachel Carson recorded how eerie the silence of spring could be and, in doing so, sparked the modern environmental movement. She opened the eyes of humanity to the lethal stain that prevalent pesticide, insecticide and herbicide use cast on graceful, elegant nature.

“Sense of Wonder,” a one-woman play based on Carson’s life and love of nature, will be performed Thursday night at the Bill Cosford Cinema, sponsored by Professor Weisskoff’s INS 421 class.

Inspired by the work of Carson, actress Kaiulani Lee revived her message by writing “Sense of Wonder” to advance Carson’s ideals and express her love for the natural world. Lee performs this play around the country at conservation conventions, high schools and universities. Now, the curtain rises for Kaiulani Lee’s reincarnation of Carson at the University of Miami.

“Rachel Carson had an immense impact on environmental awareness during her time, that is why it is important to expose her work and draw attention to her perennial influence,” said senior Efren Pagan, one of the primary student organizers of the event.

Weisskoff’s students collaborated to amass the resources required to bring Lee’s production to campus. Thanks to the generosity of the university and several sponsors, admission is free and there will be a reception with the playwright/actress after the show.

“Only by students jumping into this venture in water up to their necks was this production possible,” Weisskoff said.

Josh Kornfield may be contacted at jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

What: “A Sense of Wonder,” a play by Kaiulani Lee

Where: The Bill Cosford Cinema

When: Thursday, doors open at 7:30 p.m. Performance to begin at 8 p.m.

Cost: Free admission, reception to follow

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...