Letters to the Editor, Opinion

A Cane till the end

On Tuesday, a true Hurricane passed away.

Words cannot describe the pain I feel, but I believe that his story must be told. For a moment, we should remember Steven Guarin. I met Steven when I was 11 years old and he quickly became the most popular kid in our grade.

Throughout middle and high school, he was the class clown and the life of our class. His humor was infectious and his talent for music made him stand out even more.

About two years ago, he was diagnosed with lymphoma. Last June he was on the brink of death, but a treatment administered by our very own Miller School of Medicine helped vanquish his disease and brought new life into Steven, who was then 21.

After this miraculous recovery he became the Hurricanes’ number one fan. I watched as he transferred into UM, personally met with Shalala, attended every single football game he could and truly savored every minute he thought he would never see.

He was always so positive, so thankful for the life that was given back to him.

About a month ago, the cancer came back and he began his fight all over again. I’m heartbroken to say that he passed away this morning, exactly one week after his 22nd birthday.

Today, I want to remember someone who fought so hard, someone who truly left a mark not only in my life but in countless others. Someone who saw the positive in everything, even as his own life slipped away. Rest in peace, my friend.

Natalia Yepes is a senior majoring in public relations and international studies. She may be contacted at nyepes@themiamihurricane.com.

Natalia Yepes

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...