Phi Alpha Delta pre-law honor society

With law school applications, recommendation letters and LSAT classes, preparing for law school can be a nightmare. One fraternity on campus is making that nightmare a sweet dream by helping pre-law students along their journey.

Phi Alpha Delta is a Greek letter organization that caters to pre-law students. Founded nationally in 1902, this fraternity has a rich history and notable alumni, including President Bill Clinton, Supreme Court justice Ruth Ginsberg and Senator Chris Dodd

Here at Miami the fraternity meets every week, bringing in speakers to talk to members about law school and what you can do with a law degree. Some recent speakers have been law professors, lobbyists, jury consultants and law school students. This networking opportunity helps brothers get insight before applying to law schools.

“I’d say that Phi Alpha Delta is just its own experience,” Veronica Ramirez, a new member said. “It’s a matter of putting in the time to really reap the benefits of being a part of it.”

In addition to their chapter meetings the co-ed fraternity attends a national conference every year in Washington, D.C.  During this conference, the attendees get to network with law schools and professionals from all over the country while attending sessions with well-known speakers. The pre-law members participate in the mock trial competition and can win awards for their chapter.

Along with networking, the members use the fraternity to have fun, planning beach days and trips to the Rat as a group.

“We do a lot of the same things as a traditional fraternity,” said Kristi Mesmer, president of Phi Alpha Delta.  “We have networking but we also have socials.”

As if the members didn’t have enough on their plate, some brothers of PAD are also in social fraternities and have to make time for both organizations.

“I try to make sure that whatever it is that I’m a part of that I have the time to dedicate to it,” said Veronica Ramirez, who is also a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. “So I try my hardest to make sure things don’t overlap.”

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...