Kicking out caffeine might not be the healthiest way to stay fit

Everybody has that friend who makes some snarky comment whenever you walk into Starbucks like, “You know coffee is horrible for you right?”

Yeah, well it must be nice to ninja jump out of bed and feel 110 percent every day on your own.

Although I, alongside many other emerging adults, am a habitual coffee drinker, the ingestion of caffeine has been shown through research to actually have many positive health benefits. The international Olympic Committee has even gone so far to put limit on caffeine levels because of its proven performance-enhancing capabilities.

First, the consumption of caffeine stimulates the release of adrenaline, which is known as a “flight or fight” hormone. This means your body releases it during times of stress or exercise. When caffeine is consumed before a workout, it will help diminish the feelings of fatigue, induce the release of blood sugars (you want this during exercise) and shunt blood to the working muscles and brain for work.

Evidence indicates that caffeine binds to a certain site on the muscle cell, increasing the force of contraction. It must be said though that caffeine is a diuretic. This means it will dehydrate you if ample water is not consumed as well, something you don’t want to happen on top of normal water loss from exercise. So make sure to hydrate as well with pre-workout caffeine consumption.

Caffeine is seen to have many other benefits in the body from mood improvement, to increased concentration, to its use as common pain killer in headache medication.

Before you decide to rid that “Cup of Joe” from your daily grind, think twice: you could be missing out on a powerful aide.

Jeremy Albelda is a senior exercise physiology major and a personal trainer. E-mail health questions to him at jalbelda@themiamihurricane.com.

Jeremy Albelda

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...