V's Take

Dear V: I have long lips…

My boyfriend told me that I have “long lips,” and he wasn’t talking about the lips on my face. What is the normal length of inner labia?

Sincerely,

Lippy

Dear Lippy,

First of all, don’t let anyone (including your boyfriend) compare your body parts to others. He should know girls can be self-conscious, especially about their private areas. But if you must know, this is something that can vary just as much as any other body part.
In some women, the inner lips are completely enclosed by the outer lips. In other women, the inner lips (labia minora) are larger than the outside lips. Many pornographic images have been retouched, causing a lot of men to expect a certain look below the belt, but you shouldn’t be ashamed of your body. Advertising may try to convince women that they are larger than the norm, but it’s really something that comes in a wide range of sizes. The size of your lips doesn’t affect anything about your sexual experience, they may just look different and that’s all.
If you’re really curious, you can try visiting a genitourinary medicine clinic. These clinics deal with a variety of sexual and genital issues, and they see more labia a day than pretty much anyone else. They can take a look down there and let you know if anything is abnormal, but most likely they’ll tell you you’re perfectly fine and that everyone is different. So embrace your body!

Hope this helps,

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Advice Columnist

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...