Carnaval Miami a unique experience

Hosted by the Kiwanis Club of Little Havana, Carnaval Miami is an annual celebration of Latin music, food, art and sports throughout February and March.

The grand finale of festivities takes place Sunday, March 14 on Calle Ocho, a giant party held on the blocks of- yep, you guessed it- eighth street. During the 29 years of the event’s existence, it has attracted more than 30 million visitors from all over the world.

This year, a concert called “8th Street Jam” will be held on one block of Calle Ocho on Sunday.

“[It is designed to be] a unique experience to the up-and-coming generation of young Latinos and non-Latinos living in our community,” said Syliva Vieta, director of promotions for the Kiwanis Club of Little Havana.

8th Street Jam will feature musical performances from local bands, a live art installation of local mural artists, a video gaming area, a guitar jam area sponsored by Gibson, a food court and more.

“I have never been myself, but I have heard that Calle Ocho is a blast and I have been waiting for it to come around this year,” sophomore Kristin Tedford said. “The 8th Street Jam is just another reason to go.”

Other Carnaval festivities include a dominoes tournament, cooking contest, children’s soccer match and golf tournament. The concert will be held from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. is the culmination of Carnaval. Details of times and exact locations of all Carnaval events can be found at carnavalmiami.com.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Carnaval Miami “8th Street Jam”

WHERE: The northeast corner of 12th Avenue and 8th Street in Little Havana

WHAT: Featured performances with a special appearance by Pitbull

WHEN: Sun., March 14 from 1:30 to 9:30 p.m.

COST: $20 general admission

Kari Scharf may be contacted at kscharf@themiamihurricane.com.

Kari Scharf

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...