Auction open to students

It may still feel like winter on campus, but the Lowe Art Museum is hoping to bring spring to Coral Gables. Partnering with the University of Miami art and art history departments and Friends of Art of Miami, the Lowe will host the “Spring into Art” auction this Wednesday.

There will be over 200 items at this year’s silent auction, all awaiting a bid. The items range from paintings and photographs, to glass and sculptures. This auction is unique because it allows students as well as local artists to make donations.

“We encourage students to participate and meet artists in the community,” said Tammy Cohen, a representative from the Lowe. “It’s great exposure for them.”

Each student that donates a work of art will receive two free tickets to the event. Donations are still being accepted and the necessary forms are available in the Rainbow Building.

The auction benefits both the Lowe Art Museum and the art department. Funds raised will be distributed proportionally to both organizations based on the amount of art donated.

“The auction is about promoting the arts, not just the Lowe or the art department,” said Lise Drost, chair of the art and art history department.

Tickets are $150 and refreshments will be served.  The evening will also include a raffle for a four-day, three-night trip for two to Mexico City to visit the city’s fine art museums with proceeds from the raffle directly benefitting the Lowe.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: The “Spring into Art” Auction

WHERE: The Lowe Art Museum, located next to Mahoney/Pearson Residential Colleges

WHEN: Wed. from 7 to 9 p.m.

COST: Tickets are $150, but anyone who donates artwork (including students) will receive two free tickets to the event.

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...