Do Jazz & Hip-Hop Mix?

The world of jazz criticism was thrown into mayhem during the 1960s. Jazz had begun to move into new and unanticipated places. Artists like Ornette Coleman, inspired by Avant-Garde musicians, did away with harmony, rhythm, and melody. Miles Davis began to include electric instruments and delved into rock and funk for new sounds. By the 1970s the seeds had been planted for what would later be a fusion between hip-hop and jazz. Gil Scott-Heron, an important progenitor of hip-hop, began to perform spoken word poems over jazz music.

Jazz critics were split into two camps. One group embraced the change and believed these influences could contribute to the evolution of jazz. The other group argued that these new sounds should not be considered jazz and were in fact of inferior quality to “real” jazz. These two camps remain divided to this day. Two bloggers for jazz.com recently weighed in on the debate. Jared Pauly wrote two articles in which he defended the blending of hip-hop and jazz and gave an in-depth history lesson on how the two have intermingled throughout the years. Alan Kurtz, jazz.com’s so-called “resident curmudgeon”, retorted with his own article.

Although both bloggers make good points, I am prone to agree with Jared Pauly. Mr. Kurtz seems to focus solely on low quality hip-hop artists, rather than those that have creative new ideas. One such band is Yesterday’s New Quintet. Oddly, this quintet is comprised of only one member, hip-hop producer/rapper Madlib. Madlib records himself playing various instruments and then samples these recordings to create a unique sound that blends hip-hop, jazz, and electronica. Madlib, like many other artists who blend jazz and hip-hop, are a boon to jazz music, not a detriment.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...