Sports Briefs March 1

Baseball:

The 10th-ranked Hurricanes won two of three from Riverdale, New York’s Manhattan College this past weekend.  The Canes first loss of the season came on lackluster pitching from redshirt senior Jason Santana and relievers Daniel Miranda and Iden Nazario. Miami will host a three-game series with the Florida Gators this upcoming weekend.

Basketball:

The men’s team allowed another lead to slip away in the waning minutes this weekend against North Carolina State’s Wolfpack. It will look to rebound in Chapel Hill against a struggling Tar Heel squad that has only mustered four ACC wins a year after being crowned NCAA Champions.

Shenise Johnson was named a mid-season candidate for the Naismith Award, which is given to the best men’s and women’s college basketball players, respectively. After beating the Boston College Eagles at home on Sunday, the Canes set their sights on Wake Forest in the first round of the ACC Tournament on Thursday night in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Tennis:

The 31st-ranked Hurricanes defeated No. 50 UCF this weekend at home behind great play from doubles partners Christian Blocker and David Simon. The Hurricanes will begin ACC play this weekend at home hosting No. 19 Florida State.

Track & Field:

Blacksburg, Va. – Sophomore hurdler Devon Hill broke his own school record, placed first in the ACC Championships and qualified for Nationals this past weekend with a 7.78 in the men’s 60m hurdles, while junior sprinter Ashley Dukes defended Miami’s 2009 win at ACCs with a 7.34 in the women’s 60m dash.  Despite great individual performances, the Hurricanes placed ninth overall.

Information from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

University of Miami Frost School of Music alumni are recognized on Latin music’s biggest night—the 2 ...

A new course is providing students a primer on planning the Super Bowl, one of the biggest events of ...

A week full of spirit, friendly competition and ’Canes pride was on display during Homecoming and Al ...

Griffin Berkenfeld, a University of Miami senior and director of CaneStage’s upcoming production of ...

With public impeachment hearings set to begin Wednesday, University of Miami experts weigh in on wha ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. - University of Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced th ...

Miami head men's basketball coach Jim Larrañaga announced Wednesday the signing of consensus fo ...

Two members of the Miami women's tennis team earned spots in the Oracle/ITA singles rankings to ...

For the first time in over a decade a pair of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes ...

The No. 17/19 Miami women's basketball team downed North Florida, 78-55, in front of 4,017 fans ...