Sports Briefs March 1

Baseball:

The 10th-ranked Hurricanes won two of three from Riverdale, New York’s Manhattan College this past weekend.  The Canes first loss of the season came on lackluster pitching from redshirt senior Jason Santana and relievers Daniel Miranda and Iden Nazario. Miami will host a three-game series with the Florida Gators this upcoming weekend.

Basketball:

The men’s team allowed another lead to slip away in the waning minutes this weekend against North Carolina State’s Wolfpack. It will look to rebound in Chapel Hill against a struggling Tar Heel squad that has only mustered four ACC wins a year after being crowned NCAA Champions.

Shenise Johnson was named a mid-season candidate for the Naismith Award, which is given to the best men’s and women’s college basketball players, respectively. After beating the Boston College Eagles at home on Sunday, the Canes set their sights on Wake Forest in the first round of the ACC Tournament on Thursday night in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Tennis:

The 31st-ranked Hurricanes defeated No. 50 UCF this weekend at home behind great play from doubles partners Christian Blocker and David Simon. The Hurricanes will begin ACC play this weekend at home hosting No. 19 Florida State.

Track & Field:

Blacksburg, Va. – Sophomore hurdler Devon Hill broke his own school record, placed first in the ACC Championships and qualified for Nationals this past weekend with a 7.78 in the men’s 60m hurdles, while junior sprinter Ashley Dukes defended Miami’s 2009 win at ACCs with a 7.34 in the women’s 60m dash.  Despite great individual performances, the Hurricanes placed ninth overall.

Information from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...