New sounds with style

This isn’t Miley Cyrus or Rihanna, but instead, a new genre that is separating the genuine elements of hip-hop and instrumental that made music what it once was: this is Raw Stiles, and his sounds are sophisticated- with an attitude.

His music is a combination of instrumental beats, a collage of vintage sounds that recreate a time when music revolutionized the world in the good ol’ 60s and 70s.

“It’s not supposed to be radio-friendly, overproduced or anything like that,” said 21-year-old University of Miami senior Rob Sobalvarro, a.k.a. Raw Stiles.

Inspired by musicians like Madlib, Miles Davis and poet T.S. Elliot, Raw Stiles’ new EP Album, “Hello Lovely,” has gained the approval of blog writers with its fresh new talent. He is on his way to a music career thanks to the uniqueness of his tracks that slowly but steadily continue to be discovered by listeners. This all is due to the simple fact that Raw Stiles lives up to his name: easy listening but still funky.

Tired of watered-down hip-hop, Sobalvarro started by experimenting at age 16 with FruityLoops, the old-school version of FL Studio, a software that allows users to create their own songs.

“Music itself is what inspired me to make something,” Sobalvarro said.

“Hello Lovely” was all computer-recorded, using a table and sampler. This resulted in 10 tracks composed of old jazzy beats and soul lyrics out of old vinyl records, recycled and freshened up.

For the emerging musician, this is just the beginning. “Addicted to high standards,” Sobalvarro is now on his way to making a new album, which he says will be longer and more accessible.

“It’s all a puzzle really,” he said. “Right now I’m finding the pieces and putting it together.”

Claudia Aguirre may be contacted at caguirre@themiamihurricane.com.

INFO BOX:
Find Raw Stiles music online:
last.fm/music/Raw+Stiles
and
rawstiles.bandcamp.com/

Claudia Aguirre

Contributing EDGE Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...