Writing to save lives

Service does not always require backbreaking work or lots of money. Instead, students can turn to one student organization to write letters for a notable cause.
Up ‘Til Dawn, an organization with over 300 chapters at various universities and colleges, helps facilitate letter-writing campaigns to raise money for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, a pediatric treatment and research facility in Memphis.
“Because [the hospital]never asks the patient’s family to pay for treatment, housing or even food while their child is at the hospital, our efforts are essential to its operations” said Kelly Riley, the outgoing teams chairperson of the UM chapter of Up ‘Til Dawn.
The organization’s major event in the fall is when students are invited to fill out pre-written letters to raise money for the hospital.
Riley has been surprised by the outcome she has witnessed during the event.
“The letter-writing party is an extremely easy event, and yet its impact is immense,” she said. “Just one donation from a family member can help save the life of a child who has barely had a chance at life.”
According to Sara Klaben, the outgoing executive director of the organization, over 5,000 letters were mailed during their last letter-writing campaign.
“To run a hospital each day it costs 1.5 million dollars,” she said.
At the upcoming men’s basketball game against North Carolina State, they will present a $20,000 check during half time to a representative from St. Jude’s, as well as a patient from the hospital.

Applications for the executive board are due March 5. To request an application, email uptildawnum@gmail.com

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...