‘Realism’ lighthearted but no evolution

Band members of The Magnetic Fields Courtesy The Magnetic Fields

If the Polyphonic Spree had about a quarter of its members, they’d probably make something that sounds like The Magnetic Fields’ latest release, “Realism.” Loaded with strange harmonies, harpsichord solos and quirky lyrics about love and tea parties, “Realism” is a lighthearted trip through the depths of indie noise-pop.

Singer, songwriter and producer Stephin Merritt has fronted The Magnetic Fields since the early 1990s. Between 1993-1999, the group released six full-length LPs on Merge Records, culminating in the three-disc concept album, “69 Love Songs.” Since moving to Nonesuch Records in 2002, The Magnetic Fields have created an additional three albums, all of which have a specific theme and structure.

While other albums relied more heavily on synthesizers and technological instrumentation, “Realism” concludes the group’s “no-synth trilogy.” Serving as the musical doppelgänger to the band’s 2008 effort, “Distortion,” “Realism” replaces industrial pop with folk-inspired jangles.

With help from cellist Sam Davol, banjo player/guitarist John Woo and percussionist/pianist Claudia Gonson, Merritt excels in musical creativity. Additionally, tubas, sitars, flugelhorn and child-like piano toys pervade the sonic landscape, particularly in songs like “We Are Having a Hootenanny” and “The Dolls’ Tea Party.”

What’s frustrating about “Realism,” though, is its lack of evolution within itself. Songs run together, resulting in a mushy, conceptual album with few standout tracks. “Realism is for the modern indie fan that can appreciate musical experimentation without requiring lyrical depth or breakout singles.

Hilary Saunders may be contacted at hsaunders@themiamihurricane.com.

—————-

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Release Date: Jan. 26

Producer: Stephin Merritt

Label: Nonesuch

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...