A remarkable loss, a healthy gain

With the stresses of college life, gaining weight might be one of the easiest tasks. Struggling to lose and keep off the weight can prove burdensome and arduous.
But sophomore Michael Acosta managed to lose a remarkable 90 pounds in six months.
“I had been overweight my entire life,” said Acosta, a psychology and theater major. Last May, he decided to make a change. “I don’t want to say I was unhappy with my life, I just knew I wasn’t at the potential that I wanted to be and I knew my weight was something I could control.”
Acosta decided change his eating habits and alter his lifestyle.
“One day I just got up and said I wasn’t happy with myself and that I was going to change it,” he said. “And that’s what I did.”
Acosta joined a local Weight Watchers group close to his home in Kendall and began a daily exercise routine.
“I was able to eat whatever I wanted to eat, just in moderation,” he said.
He also began an exercise routine of mostly cardio work. Acosta said he went to the Wellness Center and ran three miles or hopped on the elliptical machine.
Toward the end of last year, he hired a personal trainer at the Wellness Center to help plan his workout. He said he exercised just about every day in his six-month effort to lose weight.
“When I met Michael at the Spring Involvement Fair on Feb. 4, I was very intrigued,” said Patty Swift, assistant director of wellness and recreation, “He lost weight the right way- no fad diets, just common-sense eating and exercise. I’m convinced there are young men and women out there who can identify with Michael.”
After six months of diligent work, Acosta dropped from 260 pounds to 170. Although this drastic transformation is uncommon, the methodology used was effective. Some might ask, was Acosta’s weight loss too much too soon?
“It’s a lot of weight but the key is that he did it right,” said Tony Musto, associate director of fitness programs and wellness, in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane.
For other students, many of the methods Acosta used can be found here on campus at the Wellness Center. It is equipped with diet and nutrition experts to evaluate and develop eating guidelines specific to individuals.
Acosta still exercises regularly and says he feels better and has more confidence and self-esteem.
“I walk around school and people don’t recognize me,” he said.

Patrick Todd may be contacted at ptodd@themiamihurricane.com.

Patrick H. Todd

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...