The issues at stake

This week, the three candidates running for Student Government (SG) President will battle it out at the polls. Unlike last year when the current president, Lionel Moise, ran unopposed, this election cycle has given the student body more candidates to choose from, but the issues that matter most remain the same.

The  platforms of all  three tickets attempt to address concerns many UM students care about, including parking, transportation ideas for freshmen, and general outreach. Though the candidates Aaron Esman, Christina Farmer and Shahzam Malik all attempt to solve these problems in slightly different ways, it’s clear that something different must be done to accommodate the needs of all students.

“People are often resistant to change,” Moise said.

He believes that in order to solve big problems like parking and transportation, SG must think outside the box.

“We all need to be more open-minded, willing to be more creative and open to change,” he said.

All three candidates have based their platforms on what they believe are creative solutions to problems that students have brought to their attention. From reaching out to international students, to revamping myUM and even providing a new slushie machine at the C-Store, Esman, Farmer and Malik are full of original initiatives.

But no matter what the results of this year’s election, in order to have a successful term in office, the new president will have to overcome an enormous problem recurrent throughout every SG administration: a lack of student body interest.

“A lot of times people get elected on a platform and only work on that for the whole year,” said Esman, who is currently Speaker Pro-Tempore of the student Senate. “You have to continue listening to students in case something comes up. We’re not waiting around for students to come to us, we’ll go out of our way to talk to them.”

Each candidate this season has recognized that student interests are vital to an effective SG and have tailored their platforms to appeal to a wide variety of groups, thus offering something to everyone.

“My number one goal is to reach out to students,” Farmer said. As current Speaker of the Student Senate she understands that traditional meetings and forums don’t always attract student involvement.

“In SG we currently ask people to come to us but we don’t always go to them,” she said. “It’s not always holding a meeting, sometimes its just talking, having a conversation. SG has great ideas but we sometimes don’t listen.”

One of Farmer’s initiatives is an online idea generator where students could submit suggestions to SG.

Moise believes that one of the reasons why students are often uninterested in SG elections is because they do not understand how specific goals and initiatives pertain to them. He said that a successful candidate must have a mixture of specialized and generalized goals.

“You want to reach as many groups as you can, but still work in the best interest of all students,” he said. “Like the case of the shuttle to Key Biscayne. It is tailored to a specific need, but really it benefits everyone.”

Malik and his running mate Christine Nanan understand that it is important for candidates to step outside of their comfort zone and appeal to a wide variety of students.

“Even if you’re uninvolved you’re still a student here,” Nanan said. “You’re paying your student activity fee, you should get something out of it. You’re paying these people to work for you.”

No matter what their goals, each candidate wants to be the one that is put to work for the student body. But in order for them to solve problems like parking, provide more shuttle options and introduce more delicious dining options, they need the input of an active electorate.

“Not everyone has to be involved in SG, but the entire student body needs to be represented,” Moise said. “So while those palm cards and T-shirts might get a little annoying, it’s important to take a glance at them. It’s important to be informed and to have your voice heard.”

Election Days

-Mon. through Wed., UC Breezeway, from 10 a.m.- 4 p.m.

-Mon. and Tues., in Mahoney, Pearson, Stanford and Hecht from 6 p.m.- 9 p.m.

Laura Edwins may be contacted at ledwins@themiamihurricane.com.

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...