Baseball

Hurricanes announce opening weekend pitching rotation

Redshirt Junior LHP Eric Erickson will pitch Friday night. He will throw in a real game for the first time since June 2008. Steven Stuts // Asst. Photo Editor

On Tuesday afternoon head coach Jim Morris unveiled the opening weekend rotation in an exclusive interview with The Miami Hurricane.

Firday night red shirt junior left-hander Eric Erickson will pitch for the first time since June of 2008. He missed all of last year due to Tommy John surgery. Erickson is 19-5 all time in his Hurricanes career.

Saturday night junior left-hander Chris Hernandez will be on the bump. Hernandez had a stellar freshman campaign but struggled at times during the 2009 season. He finished last year 7-5 with a 4.76 ERA. Hernandez’s best pitch is his cutter but he has been working a lot on his changeup this offseason.

Sunday afternoon is a bit of a surprise. Sixth year senior Jason Santana will get the nod. Santana has been plagued with injuries throughout his Hurricane tenure but has proven he can be a winner when healthy. He has a career record of 14-2. Other candidates who were in line for that spot were freshman Eric Whaley, Steven Ewing and Jerad Grundy.

Opening night is Friday at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com

Justin Antweil

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...