Baseball

Hurricanes announce opening weekend pitching rotation

Redshirt Junior LHP Eric Erickson will pitch Friday night. He will throw in a real game for the first time since June 2008. Steven Stuts // Asst. Photo Editor

On Tuesday afternoon head coach Jim Morris unveiled the opening weekend rotation in an exclusive interview with The Miami Hurricane.

Firday night red shirt junior left-hander Eric Erickson will pitch for the first time since June of 2008. He missed all of last year due to Tommy John surgery. Erickson is 19-5 all time in his Hurricanes career.

Saturday night junior left-hander Chris Hernandez will be on the bump. Hernandez had a stellar freshman campaign but struggled at times during the 2009 season. He finished last year 7-5 with a 4.76 ERA. Hernandez’s best pitch is his cutter but he has been working a lot on his changeup this offseason.

Sunday afternoon is a bit of a surprise. Sixth year senior Jason Santana will get the nod. Santana has been plagued with injuries throughout his Hurricane tenure but has proven he can be a winner when healthy. He has a career record of 14-2. Other candidates who were in line for that spot were freshman Eric Whaley, Steven Ewing and Jerad Grundy.

Opening night is Friday at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com

Justin Antweil

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...