How to help Haiti

The Haitian Student Organization (HSO), along with the Center for Latin American Studies (CLAS), hosted a roundtable discussion last night at the Wesley Center discussing initiatives that UM will commit to for helping Haiti.

The purpose was for HSO to create a movement to keep the relief efforts going, even longer. Arielle Duverda, an HSO member and coordinator for the event, said that the drives and donations can’t go on forever.

“As a collective student body, here [at UM]or elsewhere we have to help out in the community,” she said. “A lot is still needed.”

The discussion was initially supposed to be an event where students who were in Haiti during the quake and Haitian students would talk about their experiences.

“A lot of people did not want to talk about it,” Duverda said. “The thought made the event less intriguing.”

Under executive director Tiffany Madera, CLAS was all for the idea of creating a platform for students to voice their ideas and vision.

“I support students having their own opinions to frame their lives,” Madera said.

A variety of people came from those working for Haiti relations to non-Haitian UM students. People talked about the need for a course on Haiti.

Dr. Steve J. Stein, director for CLAS,  wants students to do long-term projects in Haiti, whether through study abroad or other planning programs.

“We’re a university; we’re supposed to do this,” Stein said. “Well, let’s do it.”

Senior Vanessa Joseph spoke out about the apathy coming from the university’s administration, in regards to helping the relief effort.

Joseph was one of the first to e-mail President Shalala about offering Haiti assistance but she kept getting bounced from one administrative member to the next. Many people, like HSO treasurer Gerard Mathelier came to the roundtable to go forward not back.

“I know what happened was devastating but we should look towards the future,” he said.

Andrea Concepcion may be contacted at aconcepcion@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrea Concepcion

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...