Every guy loves to test the taken waters

I love meeting people, especially women.

Whether they’re taken or not doesn’t matter in the interest of being social. The latter, however, is always preferable for obvious reasons.

It is interesting, though, to get feedback from  women who are taken. Some like to tell you up front they have a significant other so they don’t get your hopes up. There’s also a small group of calculating and sadistic women who like to casually slip their relationship into conversation weeks down the road, expecting me to either reveal a tick of disgust or be ambivalent over the matter.

Some girls are simply friendly, with no ulterior motive except the satisfaction of knowing that if they were on the dating market, they would still be desirable. But guys can overlook girls’ seemingly innocent kindness as an open invitation to “swoop in,” despite their relationship status.

Other girls feel the need to “remind” you every five seconds about their boyfriend. This is because they are unhappy with the current state of affairs, they feel disloyal confiding in other men or they are conflicted, all of which elicits a migraine or two.

For example, I could be talking to a girl about a difficult homework assignment and she immediately interjects about her boyfriend’s flawless work ethic and dedication to his degree, which is irrelevant and uninteresting.

If you are a girl who can’t resist these schizophrenic tendencies, refrain from doing so, and if that isn’t possible, cease all communication. There are things I do in my daily routine such as taking bathroom breaks and checking the mail, but I withhold such information because I know it bores others. I know you are capable of refraining when need be.

Furthermore, for guys who like taken girls, but don’t feel like becoming involved in a love triangle, remember that patience is a virtue (or so I’ve been told), and the most rewarding investments are those that take time and care.

Evan Seaman is a junior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...