Every guy loves to test the taken waters

I love meeting people, especially women.

Whether they’re taken or not doesn’t matter in the interest of being social. The latter, however, is always preferable for obvious reasons.

It is interesting, though, to get feedback from  women who are taken. Some like to tell you up front they have a significant other so they don’t get your hopes up. There’s also a small group of calculating and sadistic women who like to casually slip their relationship into conversation weeks down the road, expecting me to either reveal a tick of disgust or be ambivalent over the matter.

Some girls are simply friendly, with no ulterior motive except the satisfaction of knowing that if they were on the dating market, they would still be desirable. But guys can overlook girls’ seemingly innocent kindness as an open invitation to “swoop in,” despite their relationship status.

Other girls feel the need to “remind” you every five seconds about their boyfriend. This is because they are unhappy with the current state of affairs, they feel disloyal confiding in other men or they are conflicted, all of which elicits a migraine or two.

For example, I could be talking to a girl about a difficult homework assignment and she immediately interjects about her boyfriend’s flawless work ethic and dedication to his degree, which is irrelevant and uninteresting.

If you are a girl who can’t resist these schizophrenic tendencies, refrain from doing so, and if that isn’t possible, cease all communication. There are things I do in my daily routine such as taking bathroom breaks and checking the mail, but I withhold such information because I know it bores others. I know you are capable of refraining when need be.

Furthermore, for guys who like taken girls, but don’t feel like becoming involved in a love triangle, remember that patience is a virtue (or so I’ve been told), and the most rewarding investments are those that take time and care.

Evan Seaman is a junior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...