Don’t let Valentine’s Day get you down

In elementary school Valentine’s Day was an all inclusive holiday. Scooby Doo and My Little Pony-themed cards were given to everyone in the classroom.  Each student received not only a valentine, but usually a box of those little candy hearts.

Fast forwarding to the present, a general gloom seems to surround the holiday for some at the University of Miami. Many without a significant other see this holiday as a day that only emphasizes their singleness.

Before declaring this holiday “Single Awareness Day,” or a conspiracy engineered by Hallmark to encourage the purchasing of greeting cards, this Valentines Day needs to be put into context.

First, Valentine’s Day is on a Sunday this year, traditionally a school night. Therefore, the absence of a boyfriend/girlfriend to celebrate with will not be as apparent as it would be if it was on a Friday or Saturday. Friends in relationships will still be available to rage or relax with their single friends over most the weekend.

Also, being single does not require someone to stew in isolation this Sunday night. A local happy hour or night out with other dateless people can be equally as fun as the more traditional dinner date. Remember there is power in numbers.

Last, before placing a pessimistic emphasis on Valentine’s Day think about all the other days people celebrate that don’t include everyone. Christmas and Hanukkah should not be looked poorly upon because they celebrate certain religious traditions.  Portraying either day in a negative light would not be acceptable.

Although the meaning of this day has changed for many of us, whether it is for the better or worse, it should not be taken too seriously. After all it is only one day. Finding a distraction for 24 hours is not too difficult in Miami.

Of course don’t be afraid to return to your roots this Valentines’ Day. Anyone can enjoy a Sponge Bob-themed card or a cardboard heart cut out.

Happy Valentine’s Day from The Miami Hurricane.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...