John Mayer “Battle Studies” concert leaves audience on edge of desire

John Mayer’s “Battle Studiesconcert at the BankAtlantic Center on Thursday was like a beautiful disaster of a relationship- raunchy and reciprocal with intentions of staying the night. Starting off with a few sweet treats, he flattered the audience with his lyrical luster.

After a few drinks and some smooth talking, he shyly revealed the pinnacle of his talent when he played songs off his “Continuum” album. It was almost a spiritual experience- staring glossy-eyed at the white streams of light puncturing the billowing smoke and repeating the mantra, “keep me where the light is.

John Mayer performed Thursday at the Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. // Photo credit: Steven Magedoff

After belting out the painfully delicious “Gravity,” he finished the escalating concert with a divine guitar solo that could only be described as ‘orgasmic.’ It was as if after that moment of heightened pleasure, where concert-goers connected on a deeper level than simply that of performer and audience; we saw the real John Mayer.

As his fingers slid gently over the tense frets, and the notes bent in ways too pleasing for words, the vulnerable side under Mayer’s current bad-boy, “Perfectly Lonely” persona reared its handsome head.

“You sound beautiful,” he softly told the shrieking audience, as if the last thing he expected was sincere, intense praise after shredding the guitar and our hearts.

Focused primarily on Mayer’s newest studio album, “Battle Studies,” the show featured mostly new material, but did not neglect his three other solo albums.

In addition to being a phenomenal performer, Mayer made the night for many of his most loyal fans when he spent 15 minutes signing autographs outside of his tour bus.

“Back up a little bit,” he told bubbling teenage fans after the show. He laughed deeply and uncapped a Sharpie and said reassuringly, “I’m not going anywhere.”

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...