Fashion 4Word: Hot Date Edition

Got a hot date this week? Your outfit can make or break the evening, and with Valentine’s Day weekend quickly approaching, there is no room for error. Unfortunately some students could use a little help. So what to wear? Try out some of these hot, classic looks to impress the object of your affection…

For a casual night on the town…

Ladies, this is not the time to break out your South Beach-worthy getup. High heels and a skin-tight dresses are not appropriate for a Wednesday night bowling date or night at the movies. Try pairing skinny jeans with leather boots for a look that is classic, but edgy. Make a statement with an easy-going, yet attention-commanding t-shirt. Then throw on a cardigan and you’re good to go.

Guys can get away with a lot with fashion. But gentlemen, if you want to get lucky, you’re going to have to put in a little more effort. Even if it’s just a low-key evening, wow your date with your classic style. When in doubt, channel Ralph Lauren. Polo shirts or crewneck sweaters are always good standbys; wear them with a well-fitting pair of jeans and there you go, instant effortless style (just make sure the shirt is clean, or else kiss your ‘mojo’ goodbye).

For a date that’s a little more formal…

Now that things have gotten more serious, it’s time for the long-awaited anniversary (or Valentine’s Day) date. Dressing for this type of occasion can send girls into a tizzy, but it’s always safe to err on the more formal side. Forgo jeans and a nice top for a cute dress that elegantly hugs your curves. Look sexy without revealing too much in sky-high heels; they instantly thin and elongate legs. Think Taylor Swift tasteful, not “Jersey Shore” gaudy.

Guys, whatever you do, don’t pull out the Ed Hardy. There is a time and a place for that style, and it is not on your hot date. Fold that t-shirt and put it back in your closet, instead opting for a nice button down and skinny tie. Roll up the sleeves, or take a cue from Taylor Lautner and pull off sports coat if you dare; but beware, you will attract women at an alarming rate. What girl can turn down a smoldering gaze and perfectly fitting suit?

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...