Fashion 4Word: Hot Date Edition

Got a hot date this week? Your outfit can make or break the evening, and with Valentine’s Day weekend quickly approaching, there is no room for error. Unfortunately some students could use a little help. So what to wear? Try out some of these hot, classic looks to impress the object of your affection…

For a casual night on the town…

Ladies, this is not the time to break out your South Beach-worthy getup. High heels and a skin-tight dresses are not appropriate for a Wednesday night bowling date or night at the movies. Try pairing skinny jeans with leather boots for a look that is classic, but edgy. Make a statement with an easy-going, yet attention-commanding t-shirt. Then throw on a cardigan and you’re good to go.

Guys can get away with a lot with fashion. But gentlemen, if you want to get lucky, you’re going to have to put in a little more effort. Even if it’s just a low-key evening, wow your date with your classic style. When in doubt, channel Ralph Lauren. Polo shirts or crewneck sweaters are always good standbys; wear them with a well-fitting pair of jeans and there you go, instant effortless style (just make sure the shirt is clean, or else kiss your ‘mojo’ goodbye).

For a date that’s a little more formal…

Now that things have gotten more serious, it’s time for the long-awaited anniversary (or Valentine’s Day) date. Dressing for this type of occasion can send girls into a tizzy, but it’s always safe to err on the more formal side. Forgo jeans and a nice top for a cute dress that elegantly hugs your curves. Look sexy without revealing too much in sky-high heels; they instantly thin and elongate legs. Think Taylor Swift tasteful, not “Jersey Shore” gaudy.

Guys, whatever you do, don’t pull out the Ed Hardy. There is a time and a place for that style, and it is not on your hot date. Fold that t-shirt and put it back in your closet, instead opting for a nice button down and skinny tie. Roll up the sleeves, or take a cue from Taylor Lautner and pull off sports coat if you dare; but beware, you will attract women at an alarming rate. What girl can turn down a smoldering gaze and perfectly fitting suit?

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...