Concert to benefit Haiti

Wondering where to take your significant other this Valentine’s Day? Looking for some way to help the Haiti relief effort?
On Feb. 14, the BankUnited Center will welcome the “One Love for Haiti” concert, a benefit relief event that will have a slew of Caribbean and Haitian musicians.
The confirmed lineup for the concert will include Melky Jean, Inner Circle, Cornelius MD, Sweet Micky, Frankie Paul, Screwdriver, 4th Dimension, Alana Decosta, Jimmy Jean-Louis, R&B Sensation, Mawaon, The Collaboration, Wayne Wade, T-Vice and King Yellowman.
Patrick L. McGrew, the general manager for the BUC, said that the list is going to grow.
In terms of proceeds, 100 percent will benefit the Haitian people. Tickets are $25.
“The goal for the event is to have no administrative process or overhead fee,” McGrew said.
Junior Lisandro Frankie believes that even the least amount of money can have the greatest effect for help in Haiti.
“Even if you donate $25, the full $25 will go to Haiti and not get lost in the transaction,” he said.
The performers will be donating their time onstage for free.
In the BUC’s outer rim, the Haitian Student Organization (HSO) will be running two concession stands as well as selling their t-shirts. Students are encouraged to fill out an online form to volunteer for the night.
“At this point, we’re happy to be involved at continuing our relief efforts,” said Sherlley Sanon, president of HSO.
McGrew hopes to raise up to a quarter of a million dollars from the concert.
“We have a lot of people coming to the table to do something great,” he said.

Andrea Concepcion may be contacted at aconcepcion@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrea Concepcion

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...