Concert to benefit Haiti

Wondering where to take your significant other this Valentine’s Day? Looking for some way to help the Haiti relief effort?
On Feb. 14, the BankUnited Center will welcome the “One Love for Haiti” concert, a benefit relief event that will have a slew of Caribbean and Haitian musicians.
The confirmed lineup for the concert will include Melky Jean, Inner Circle, Cornelius MD, Sweet Micky, Frankie Paul, Screwdriver, 4th Dimension, Alana Decosta, Jimmy Jean-Louis, R&B Sensation, Mawaon, The Collaboration, Wayne Wade, T-Vice and King Yellowman.
Patrick L. McGrew, the general manager for the BUC, said that the list is going to grow.
In terms of proceeds, 100 percent will benefit the Haitian people. Tickets are $25.
“The goal for the event is to have no administrative process or overhead fee,” McGrew said.
Junior Lisandro Frankie believes that even the least amount of money can have the greatest effect for help in Haiti.
“Even if you donate $25, the full $25 will go to Haiti and not get lost in the transaction,” he said.
The performers will be donating their time onstage for free.
In the BUC’s outer rim, the Haitian Student Organization (HSO) will be running two concession stands as well as selling their t-shirts. Students are encouraged to fill out an online form to volunteer for the night.
“At this point, we’re happy to be involved at continuing our relief efforts,” said Sherlley Sanon, president of HSO.
McGrew hopes to raise up to a quarter of a million dollars from the concert.
“We have a lot of people coming to the table to do something great,” he said.

Andrea Concepcion may be contacted at aconcepcion@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrea Concepcion

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...