‘When in Rome’ nothing new

“When in Rome” isn’t the greatest movie ever made. It’s certainly not a shining example of any of the things it aspires to be (romantic, a comedy, etc.). It proves to be fairly generic, but it’s passably funny. It’s more like porn for New York fetishists or art history majors, and that’s about it.

Josh Duhamel and Kristen Bell star in 'When in Rome' // Courtesy Touchstone Pictures

Kristen Bell is a Guggenheim Museum curator who seems to be cursed when it comes to love. She falls for Josh Duhamel’s sportswriter character on a trip to Rome, and upon stealing some coins from a famed fountain of love, she is relentlessly pursued by a motley crew of suitors.

Duhamel is likeable enough in the role, and Bell is alternately charming and grating. It’s easier to talk about the performances that are terrible, most notably those by Jon Heder, Kristen Schaal and Dax Shepard. They are creepy and odd, though they’ve never shown enough range to be classified as anything but. Will Arnett and Danny Devito are not as bad as the others, but it’s perplexing why two fairly gifted comedic actors would appear in this film.

“When in Rome” has its funny moments, though few, far-between and usually cheap, but it’s not the most offensive comedy ever made. It’s also a perfect example of the decline of the romantic comedy, a genre that has gone from “Four Weddings and a Funeral” and “Love Actually,” to films like “Ghosts of Girlfriends Past” and “Failure to Launch.” “When in Rome” is not as offensively bad as any of Matthew McConaughey’s recent films, but it’s also not that good.

Rating: 1.5/4 stars

Starring: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel

Directed By: Mark Steven Johnson

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...