‘When in Rome’ nothing new

“When in Rome” isn’t the greatest movie ever made. It’s certainly not a shining example of any of the things it aspires to be (romantic, a comedy, etc.). It proves to be fairly generic, but it’s passably funny. It’s more like porn for New York fetishists or art history majors, and that’s about it.

Josh Duhamel and Kristen Bell star in 'When in Rome' // Courtesy Touchstone Pictures

Kristen Bell is a Guggenheim Museum curator who seems to be cursed when it comes to love. She falls for Josh Duhamel’s sportswriter character on a trip to Rome, and upon stealing some coins from a famed fountain of love, she is relentlessly pursued by a motley crew of suitors.

Duhamel is likeable enough in the role, and Bell is alternately charming and grating. It’s easier to talk about the performances that are terrible, most notably those by Jon Heder, Kristen Schaal and Dax Shepard. They are creepy and odd, though they’ve never shown enough range to be classified as anything but. Will Arnett and Danny Devito are not as bad as the others, but it’s perplexing why two fairly gifted comedic actors would appear in this film.

“When in Rome” has its funny moments, though few, far-between and usually cheap, but it’s not the most offensive comedy ever made. It’s also a perfect example of the decline of the romantic comedy, a genre that has gone from “Four Weddings and a Funeral” and “Love Actually,” to films like “Ghosts of Girlfriends Past” and “Failure to Launch.” “When in Rome” is not as offensively bad as any of Matthew McConaughey’s recent films, but it’s also not that good.

Rating: 1.5/4 stars

Starring: Kristen Bell, Josh Duhamel

Directed By: Mark Steven Johnson

MPAA Rating: PG-13

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...