Tennis

Men’s tennis splits ITA Kick-Off matches

The No. 20 Hurricanes (2-1) visited the University of Georgia’s Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility to take part in the ITA Kick-Off Weekend.

On Saturday morning the Hurricanes had their first loss of the season, falling 4-2 to No. 28 North Carolina (3-0) in non-conference play.

The Tar Heels got on the board with a doubles win and a win over No. 57 Carl Sundberg in singles play. Sundberg lost to No. 36 Clay Donato in straight sets 6-2, 6-2 in the No. 1 position.

Waylon Chin, undefeated in dual match play as a Cane, got the Canes on the board with a three set win in the No. 3 position, beating Stefan Hardy 1-6, 6-3, 6-2. No. 114 Christian Blocker won a tough three set match against Jose Hernandez 4-6, 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-4) playing in the No. 2 position.

UNC got the winning point when Andrew Crone beat No. 120 David Simon playing in the No. 6 position 6-2,6-4.

On Monday the Canes faced No. 36 Northwestern Wildcats (4-2) after Northwestern lost its Saturday match against the Georgia Bulldogs. The Canes swept the Wildcards 4-0, quickly overcoming their Saturday loss against the Tar Heels.

The Hurricanes were lead by commanding doubles play in the No. 1 and No. 2 positions. Christian Blocker and David Simon set the tone for their teammates, crushing Northwestern’s Andrew McCarthy and Tobias Reitz 8-2.

Keith Crowley and Hector Nieto debuted in doubles play defeating Joshua Graves and Alex Sanborn 8-6.

Hector Nieto filled out for standout transfer Waylon Chin in doubles play while his brother Santiago Nieto took Chin’s spot in singles play.

No. 57 Carl Sundberg got the second point for the Hurricanes beating Joshua Graves 6-4, 6-2 and obtaining his seventh victory of the season. Keith Crowley finished out the score with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Alex Sanborn.

Christian Blocker was again solid in the No. 2 position winning over Wildcat Sidarth Balaji 6-3, 7-5. Blocker remains undefeated in dual match play.

Santiago Nieto was not able to debut in singles as the meeting was decided before his match began. David Simon, coming off the deciding loss against North Carolina, was trailing in the first set of his match when it was called off.

The Hurricanes will continue their road trip against Rice on this Sunday.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...