Sports Briefs – Feb. 1

Women’s Tennis:

The #7 ranked Hurricanes swept Mississippi State on Sunday while Laura Vallverdu became UM’s all time singles wins leader.  The top ranked team has a big match against #5 Baylor this weekend at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center on Saturday at 11:00.

Women’s Basketball:

The Lady Canes lost a close game to the Eagles of Boston College this past weekend on the road.   The loss is their third in a row and they have a tough match-up at home on Thursday against a hot Tar Heel squad who are ranked 12th in the nation.  The game will be at the Bank United center at 7:00.

Track and Field:

The Hurricanes ran well and were commended by their director Amy Deem for their strong performance at Penn State’s National Invitational this past Saturday.  They have a 2 week break before their next meet at the Tyson Invitational in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Men’s Basketball:

The Hurricanes won on Sunday afternoon at the Bank United Center against the Virginia Tech Hokies and immediately hit the road for a 2 game road trip to play at Wake Forest and then at Florida State.

Information from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...