The sorry state the union is in

We did the ritualistic dances, the chanting and the praying. We casted the Great W. Demon out and elected the almighty savior. He was unlike all those who had come before. He would bring a new kind of politics to Washington. He would lead us out of the quagmire in Iraq and expand health care coverage to millions of uninsured Americans. He stood in front of Greek columns.

Americans clearly erred in putting their faith in an individual who cited majoring in international relations at Columbia University as foreign policy experience. Obama’s lack of executive experience should have disqualified him from being an agency or department head. Nevertheless, the voters in their enduring wisdom declared him competent enough to hold the highest office in the land.

The Obama camp’s winning argument… John F. Kennedy. They expected voters to ignore the fact that Kennedy served a full Senate term and three House terms compared to Obama’s incomplete Senate term. Voters also didn’t consider the reality that the role of Chief Executive has grown exponentially more complex and consequential.

There can no longer be doubt. Obama’s presidency is marked by its failures more than its successes. Despite possessing remarkable reserves of political capital at the outset of his presidency, Obama has failed to bring about the positive change he promised in his campaign. Not only could Obama not convince politicians in Washington to stop playing their “politics as usual” game, he’s demonstrated that his political gaming skills match his bowling skill: at the level of the “Special Olympics or something.”

Josh Kornfield is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at  jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...