The sorry state the union is in

We did the ritualistic dances, the chanting and the praying. We casted the Great W. Demon out and elected the almighty savior. He was unlike all those who had come before. He would bring a new kind of politics to Washington. He would lead us out of the quagmire in Iraq and expand health care coverage to millions of uninsured Americans. He stood in front of Greek columns.

Americans clearly erred in putting their faith in an individual who cited majoring in international relations at Columbia University as foreign policy experience. Obama’s lack of executive experience should have disqualified him from being an agency or department head. Nevertheless, the voters in their enduring wisdom declared him competent enough to hold the highest office in the land.

The Obama camp’s winning argument… John F. Kennedy. They expected voters to ignore the fact that Kennedy served a full Senate term and three House terms compared to Obama’s incomplete Senate term. Voters also didn’t consider the reality that the role of Chief Executive has grown exponentially more complex and consequential.

There can no longer be doubt. Obama’s presidency is marked by its failures more than its successes. Despite possessing remarkable reserves of political capital at the outset of his presidency, Obama has failed to bring about the positive change he promised in his campaign. Not only could Obama not convince politicians in Washington to stop playing their “politics as usual” game, he’s demonstrated that his political gaming skills match his bowling skill: at the level of the “Special Olympics or something.”

Josh Kornfield is a sophomore majoring in international studies and political science. He may be contacted at  jkornfield@themiamihurricane.com.

Josh Kornfield

Senior Columnist

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...