Get your big break with the writer of “Bring it On”

The Seven Rays author, Jessica Bendinger

From the creator of the notorious cheerleading cult classic “Bring it On,” comes a competition that could jump start the career of an aspiring young screenwriter. Jessica Bendinger knows firsthand how hard it can be to make it in the film industry. She pitched “Bring it On” 27 times before it was bought by Universal Studios and now she is offering one lucky writer the big break she never had.

Bendinger is holding a screenwriting competition where students are invited to adapt a scene of her new book, “The Seven Rays,” into a screenplay. The winner will receive a one-on-one script consultation by Bendinger, a huge opportunity in a business that is nearly impossible to break into.

“I enjoy teaching screenwriting so much,” Bendinger said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane, “and to mentor a young screenwriter, I thought, what a cool opportunity to open what is normally a VIP process to an aspiring writer.”

Bendinger is currently in the process of adapting “The Seven Rays” for the screen. She feels that adaptation is an important skill writers should master and that mentorship can be a useful stepping stone in getting original work read by Hollywood executives.

“If you don’t have a contact, you’re not getting your foot in the door,” said Daryl Axelrod, a UM alumnus with a master’s degree in film theory. “The film industry is really closed and difficult to get meetings in unless you know somebody.”

Not only will Bendinger’s grand prize winner find a mentor, but five second-place prize winners will get the chance of a lifetime: to pitch their own original scripts to film executives.

In addition to “Bring it On” and “The Seven Rays,” Bendinger has written for “Sex in the City” and the movie “Aquamarine.” She also wrote and directed “Stick It,” a film she called her “love letter to gymnastics.” In the past she has mentored other young writers, a process she finds worthwhile.

“I want to give what I didn’t have. I struggled to find a mentor in Hollywood,” she said. “It’s extremely rewarding when you connect with someone who is really talented.”

Though she met rejection initially, Bendinger’s “Bring it On” has become a “popcorn movie classic,” and her successful career has led her to a place where she can provide a similar opportunity to another aspiring writer.

########################
INFO BOX:

To enter the screenwriting competition:
Log on to thesevenrays.com to read the first chapter of Jessica Bendinger’s new book “The Seven Rays,” for free.
Adapt a scene into a two to five page written screenplay.
Submit the entry by logging onto www.withoutabox.com/login/8612 deadline is February 15, 2010 at 12 a.m. PST
For more information and contest rules log on to thesevenrays.com/contest-rules

Laura Edwins

Managing Editor

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...